forty

IT WAS HARD being inside Wolfe's mind

IT WAS HARD being inside Wolfe's mind. Sophie continued to talk to him, to ask him questions, and she could always glimpse the darkness that he was surrounded in. It was torture. The awful quiet, the sense of numbness. It was enough to almost drive her insane. The longer that he stayed in the chamber, the more open their mind connection became.

It had something to do with his lack of other senses, he had told her.

"So tell me about this imprint," Sophie pressed, as Wolfe's mind started to wonder toward the darkness.

He stumbled a bit, looking for the proper words. "It's really nothing special. It's not like we're mated or anything, not like what happens with vampires. It's just the same as an imprint between animals; I have recognized you as another person of habitual trust."

"So you automatically trust me?"

That made Wolfe snort. "Something like that. When a werewolf imprints on a human, a special bond is formed. It is supposed to make me attractive to you, and draw you closer. It kind of sets us up to be mates, if we wanted to."

Sophie remained quiet. That did make sense to her. She had always felt drawn toward him, ever since she ran into him in the hallway on her first day.

He seemed to read her mind. "I've imprinted on several humans before, so I know the drill. I thought I had it controlled enough. I guess you caught me by surprise in that hallway; I wasn't in control of my emotions."

"Okay," she thought. "I was too pretty for you to handle. Got it."

Wolfe chuckled. "If that makes you feel better, then yes. Though this whole telepathic link is new to me. Our mind link was formed because of our situation, I believe. I have never had this happen before, so I am just theorizing."

"Well, you've never been in this situation before, so it would make sense," she said.

He mentally smiled. "Exactly right. You see, as a werewolf, I rely mostly on my senses. And right now, they are being completely drowned out. It's an old torture technique used on werewolves, meant to make me go insane. I read about it once before. I believe that this mental link is kind of a last resort for my mind."

A quiet settled between them. It didn't take long before Wolfe's mind started to deteriorate, and the darkness to creep into it. Sophie immediately started to think again. "What's going to happen to us?" she asked.

He paused. The darkness crawled away, and his thoughts became clear again. "I don't know," he said, somber. "I know that you will be changed into a complete vampire."

"What do you mean?" That made Sophie wish that she could scowl. "What if I don't want to be a complete vampire? I happen to like my half human self very much."

Wolfe mentally smiled a grim little smile. "I'm afraid you don't have much of a choice. Had I not pulled Aubrey off when I did, she would have completely torn out your throat."