Chapter 16

For an instant I felt myself pause with trepidation. Could the simulations really be that realistic that I'd actually have to remind myself of what was and wasn't real?

Though there was definitely a part of me that felt genuine fear, it was easily overpowered by my need to know. I wanted nothing more than the truth my subconscious seemed determined to keep from me, and I'd do whatever it took, even if that meant living my nightmares in the flesh.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" I said, glancing at the simulation room expectantly. "The sooner we get this over with, the better."

Lyla nodded, uncapping the syringe in her hand and gesturing for me to turn my head to the right. I complied, but just as she reached for me, something unknown appeared to make her freeze. Eyes narrowing, she raised her free hand to touch a spot just above the nape of my neck.

"What-" she faltered, a question in her voice. "What is this?"

Curious, I gingerly probed the area with my fingers and was taken aback when I was met with the smallest bump.

"I don't know," I admitted. "What does it look like?"

"It's small, I barely noticed it at first glance," she said as she stood on her tiptoes. "Also round, and looks like it's made of some kind of metal."

"Like a piercing?" I asked, remembering how some of the dauntless I'd seen had adorned their bodies with metal rings and spikes.

"No. Well, at least I don't think so," she said, shaking her head. "Stop messing around with it, Sage. That could be dangerous."

"Doesn't hurt," I informed her matter-of-factly, absently wondering if I could simply pluck it out.

She must've read my intentions, because she began to open her mouth to protest. However, she was too late. Before I thought better of it, I'd already given it a hard yank in an attempt to dislodge it.

Immediately a wave of pain seared throughout my neck and along my spine; the nerves firing with white-hot agony. Caught off guard, I only just managed not to cry out. My knees buckled, and I stumbled backwards, barely catching myself on a nearby wall.

"Sage?" Lyla cried out in alarm, rushing towards me. "What's wrong?"

I couldn't answer, but as I brought my hand back I saw that there was blood smeared on my fingers.

"What the hell?" I muttered weakly after I'd caught my breath. Wiping my hand off on my pants, I frowned as I felt the beginning pangs of a massive headache. "Yeah, that's not coming out any time soon."

"What did you do?" She asked, stepping behind me to inspect the site.

"Nothing, I was just trying to take it out," I said, gingerly dabbing to see if I was still bleeding. Oddly, I wasn't, and I figured it had to be the remnants of the Re-Gen serum that had helped quickly knit the wound closed again. "I guess it's embedded deeper than I thought."

When I shifted to look at Lyla once more, I was surprised to see that her expression appeared suddenly cautious. In fact, she'd slowly started to get up and back away, putting the syringes back in their respective cases. I frowned, wondering what had brought up the sudden change.

"What are you doing?" I asked, watching as she began to turn off the monitors around her. "What about my fear landscapes?"

"I can't do this to you," she resolved, her voice edged with steel. "I won't risk it."

"What are you talking about? Is it the piercing that worries you? Lyla, listen to me, I still want to go through with the plan." I protested. "So the thing won't come out, it's not a big deal. This shouldn't change anything."