Chapter 24

Music. Kajal hadn't anticipated this. There generally was music but it was light and always in the background. Today however, people were dancing. She looked at them, in their colourful, traditional Indian attire and smiled. She felt a little out of place as she didn't know how to dance. She chose to mingle with those who had decided to hang back and not dance. The food was divine as per usual. She saw the dessert counter and knew that they were supposed to wait. But she sneaked her way to the counter and stood there hoping no one would look at her. She swivelled her head left and right slowly to see if the coast was clear and picked up the fat, plump barfi staring back at her.

"I knew I would find you here."

She groaned and lowered the barfi. She didn't need to turn around to know who it was. She'd recognize that voice anywhere. She said, "You don't know anything about me. Stop pretending that you do."

He now stood next to her and leaned on the counter. His eyes didn't leave her as he said, "Allow me to get to know you then."

She flicked a dry look at him and took a bite of the barfi looking straight ahead again. She responded lightly, "Too bad for you. I have no interest in swapping life stories today." With that, she tried to walk away. She knew she wouldn't be successful though. And sure enough, he caught her arm and held her from moving away. She looked at him and asked quietly, "What is it, Thapar?"

He eased himself away from the counter without letting go of her and asked, "Will you dance with me?"

Kajal let out a giggle against her will. His face lit up looking at her laugh. She shook her head at him and said, "I don't dance."

He released her arm only to clasp her hand the very next moment and tugged her towards the dance floor. But not before looking into her eyes and saying, "I don't either. But it's the only way I can be close to you here."

She racked her brain for a worthy reply to that. But she couldn't. Instead, she let herself be drawn to the dance floor, her hand securely held in his. And as luck would have it, they were playing a slow tune. He came to a stop at a place in one corner of the floor and looked at her. She looked back at him helplessly and said, "I honestly don't know how to dance."

He smiled at her and said, "Think of it as a walk in the park. Only this time, you let me lead."

With that, he pulled her into his arms and tucked her head on his shoulder. Not being able to comprehend much else, she slowly raised her hands and placed them lightly on his shoulder. She had never felt this ticklish in her life and she was not a ticklish person. She took a deep breath and caught a whiff of his woodsy cologne. She forgot to match his step and stopped moving. He pulled back and asked, "What's the matter?"

She shook her head and said, "Nothing. I told you I'm not good at this."

He chuckled and pulled her back in his embrace. He tugged her hair lightly and said, "This look suits you."

She pushed back and looked into his eyes. Before he could protest again, she reached up and flicked the stray lock of hair that was flopping on his forehead. She replied, "Revenge! Aha!"

He laughed at that and said, "Who needs you to be good at dancing when you can give back as good as you get."

She nodded. The song came to an end as well. She pulled back from him and said, "Thank you."

She weaved her way away from him and found a balcony at the far end of the hall. She clutched the cold metal railing and felt normal again in an open space. She hugged herself and looked at the vast expanse below her spreading out endlessly.

"Kajal..."

She didn't respond. He walked over and stood next to her. He didn't look at the beautiful scenery outside or at the sky. His eyes only sought hers. Still not looking at him, she asked, "What do you want, Vikramaditya?"

He sighed and answered, "The minute I know that, you will be the first person I tell."

She let out a smile at that. She braced herself, looked at him squarely in the eyes and said, "Look...I can't do this. Whatever this is...I just can't. I have been here before. I have been hurt before. I will not put myself through that again. You are right to keep your personal and professional lives separate. And I am right in keeping my life complication free."

He looked at her carefully, his face impassive as he said, "Why does anything have to be complicated? I realize I made a mistake by not telling you and leaving..."

Kajal raised a hand to interrupt him and said sharply, "I will make it simple for you. You ran away. Without so much as a bye, you left! And that is what I will do now. Not because I don't like you. I do. I really do. But..."

He blocked her way and asked, "But what?"

She shut her eyes and pictured that day again. It was a painful memory. The day Sumeet promised to come but instead kept her waiting. The day she was happy but he wasn't ready. The day he ran away. The day of her almost wedding.

She opened her eyes and found Vikramaditya waiting, looking at her with concern and patience. She looked pained and frightened. She just said, "Just...no. I will see you later...tomorrow at work. Okay?"

Author's Note: Much revelations no? I hope you guys enjoyed that! :D You guys are the best! You actually make me want to write every day and look forward to it! :D Seeya another day then! - S