Chapter 9

Finally, the day of the engagement came. A swarm of servants rushed to Eliza's room, early in the morning. They had to help the Princess get ready on time. She couldn't be late for such an important day.

The dress, finely tailored especially for the day, was beautiful beyond compare. Its pastel green colour reminded of early spring. The corset was embroidered with gold threads, and the translucent sleeves were made of the finest silk. The bottom half was stitched with fibres in the same colour, layered one over the other, in waves of lace and brocade, like the foaming sea. On the other hand, Elizadidn't allow anyone to touch her hair or her face. She managed to hide her wrinkles again with a nice whirl and let her hair fall down on her shoulders. Then, she carefully put on the tiara which was brought to her on a velvet cushion. It was the tiara she has always dreamed of since she was a little girl — when she was braiding flowers in the shape of a crown, imagining they were the most precious gems. Flowers made of emerald, big bright pieces, surrounded by small diamond pieces, were shining in the light. And her laced shoes were also decorated with precious stones.

Eliza was happy. This was to be the happiest day of her life. What was about to come didn't matter anymore.

Downstairs, in the dining hall, the arrangements were almost over. The long tables were placed in a semicircle, covered in finest textured linen. On alabaster lamp stands with ruby flowers and emerald, candles were burning with colourful flames.

The Table of Honor, where the Prince and Princess were expected to sit, next to the King and Queen, was placed higher than the other tables.

The meals were so diverse, Eliza would've almost needed a whole week to count them all. Fish, vegetables, veal, mutton, rabbit, venison and salads, all placed on silver trays. Soup bowls steaming hot. Roast meat with all kinds of dressings. Sponge cakes, pies and the finest cookies and cakes reigned over the dessert tables set to the sides. Exotic fruits, sorbet, confiture waiting to be enjoyed. Everything looked perfect.

The guests were coming down to the dining room, taking their seats. Big smiles and cheerfulness were all over those merry royal faces. The Prince was greeting the guests at the entrance. His ceremonial attire was not much different from the one he usually wore. But you could see on his face he was happy.

When Eliza made her entrance, everyone held their breath. Whispers of appreciation were coming through and, for the first time, Eliza felt like a real princess. The Prince came forward to receive her, greeted with a smile and led her to her seat, on his left. Next, there was the Queen who gave her an encouraging look and the King who smiled softly.

The feast began and, in front of the diners, came prancing jesters and court musicians who brought along even more cheer.

After dining, the Prince invited the guests to the ballroom. It was a large room, loaded with thousands of torches and candles and decorated with flowers and shrubs to make the place look like an indoor garden. The music players took their place on the stage. When they began playing, the Prince invited Eliza to dance, smiling like he never had before. Eliza was not the only one to notice that the Prince was truly happy. She lent him her hand and got shivers when she felt his firm grip. The same shivers she felt that first time in the library. Then, the two floated on the notes of a mellow waltz. Eliza didn't trip, not even once, a good sign that the dance lessons she got from the Queen had not been in vain. The Prince was holding her by the waist and looked her warmly, which had her blood rise to her cheeks. Hundreds of pairs of eyes were following their every move, but Eliza and the Prince had eyes only for each other. The song ended, and the Prince kissed her hand and went back to their places. But they didn't sit for too long. For the orchestra tackled another waltz, and the two danced again, and again like they couldn't have enough of each other. Other dancing pairs joined them and the ballroom was coming alive with gracious moves, smiles, and cheers.