Chapter 38

Miss Evans POV

After I hugged her she completely broke down on my arms and I swear I thought the girl I was holding was nothing like the Anna I knew... or the Anna I thought I knew.

She was always cheerful and happy, sometimes it was too much, it annoyed me to death. She never got fazed by my rudeness and bitterness or my indifference towards her feelings, even when I told her I didn't want to see her again, she stood tall, remorseless.

This whole time she was nothing but strong, so to see her in this state, getting my shirt wet with her tears and hearing her quiet hiccups, it really got to me. 

And even though I told myself multiple times I shouldn't get any more involved with her than I already am, here am I.

"Are you cold?" I ask as we get into the car, she just shakes her head but I turn on the heater anyway, the sun was setting and the air was getting chilly.

I'm terrible at this, how the hell do you comfort someone?

The ride to her house was silent and I couldn't help feeling sorry for her, I know the feeling of losing someone you love and I don't wish that for Anna or anyone else as it is.

Thinking back, all I wanted was to be left alone, and as much as I don't want to drop her off and leave, I know she needs her space.

"Thanks," she mutters as I park the car in front of her house, I don't know what to say so I just nod my head even though she's not looking at me.

"Just stay positive," I finally say after a few seconds of silence holding her hand and giving it a little squeeze. "He's a tough guy."

"I'll try," she says finally looking at me with a small smile. For some reason, I find my hand going up to her face and stroking her cheek feeling her face slowly rest into my hand. What am I doing? "Goodbye kiss?" she jokes in a small voice making me smile, she never really changes, does she?

I slowly approach her face, watching her close her eyes as I get closer, only to rest my lips softly on her other cheek. I know it's still wrong but I'm in too deep to keep on counting.

She sighs as I withdraw my lips from her face giving us some space, I tried taking my hand off of her cheek but she holds it with one hand and with the other she grabs onto my shirt's collar pushing me back to her. "Thanks, but... I really need a real one," she whispers before our lips connect.

Her kisses were always sweet and slow, the innocence of her lips seemed to crash with her perv personality... on a tongueless kiss, she slides her hand off my collar to groop my breast.

What on earth is this idiot thinking?

"Ow," she cries as I use my hand that is on her cheek to pinch her, hard, making her let go of my boob.

"Get out of my car," I say straightening up my shirt where she pushed it.

"Bummer," she chuckles. "See you on Monday, Miss Evans." She's trying but I see it on her eyes she's still not fully over it.

I roll my eyes. "Stop sulking and actually study for the test on Monday."

"Mhm," she mutters suddenly leaning on me and giving me a peek on the lips catching me off guard and getting out of the car before I could say anything.

"This girl..." I sigh as I watch her run stupidly to her house.

How did I get so soft on her?

The weekend passed by awfully slow and as much as I'd rather not be at the school I'd also not be at home, especially on a Saturday night seated on my bed next to my sleeping dog, burning my eyes in front of a computer screen planing next weeks lessons.

After what seemed like an eternity I glance at the clock down the screen noticing it's a little past 10 pm making me close my laptop and grabbing my phone instead, I just stared at my Instagram's feed not really seeing anything, I was thinking about Friday.

Actually, it's all I've been thinking all day, Anna has surely taken advantage of the situation but I'm the one to blame, mainly because I'm not the slightest mad at her even though I should be, and I've been trying not to think about what I would have done if I could go back in time because I'm scared I'd run into the conclusion I wouldn't change a thing.

"I wonder if she's doing ok," I sigh.

After that day at the hospital when Anna gave me her number I ended up saving it on my phone for some reason, I looked it up and just stared at it hovering my finger on the call button wondering if I should give her a call or not. I just want to make sure she's alright, I tell myself, maybe if I keep telling myself that I'd actually believe it.

"Nonsense, just wait until Monday," I muttered throwing my phone to the other end of the bed. I would never see the end of it if Anna gets a hold of my number. "What do you think Slippers?" I ask as he yawns waking up from all the ruckus I was making on the bed. "Should I?" He just eyes me boringly and closes his eyes going back to sleep. I eye the phone and groan picking it up again.

I don't know how much time I stared at my phone's screen but I figure it has been a lot. I sigh, Just do it I think clicking right away on the call button, regretting it the moment I did.

"Hello?" I hear after the second ring.

"... Hey," I say trying not to sound too awkward as I slide under my comforter.

There was silence on the other side of the line for some seconds. "Daniella?" Duh.

"Yeah, I... Just wanted to make sure you're alright, any news?" I ask knowing there isn't, I've called the hospital earlier.

"Thanks, I'm handling and no I don't think so," she sighs. "But I have faith in Ed."

"I'm glad."

There's silence again from the other end.

"Are you in bed?" She asks after a few seconds.

"Yeah, why?" I ask raising one eyebrow.

"Me too," she says. "I wish you were here," ... "In my bed," she completes before I could even process the I wish you were here part.

I don't say anything, my eyes roll unconsciously as I end the call.

"Unbelievable," I groan.

As I was about to rest my phone on the bedside table my phone vibrates with a new message from Anna, I hold it in my hand a little longer wondering if I should open it or not, the conscious side of my brain strongly suggesting me to just ignore it but I decide on opening it anyway.

"Thanks for calling, it was nice to hear your voice before going to bed, goodnight xoxo."

xoxo?

Thanks for reading, please vote and drop a comment, it will help me a lot more than you might think.

Also follow me on Twitter and on Instagram: shayzayit

Hey guys, if you enjoy my content, please consider supporting what I do on ko-fi.com/shayzayit (link on my profile), not only will it give me the motivation to write and create more but it will also help me get my books physically published (these drafts will always stay on Wattpad for free)