Chapter 4

Be sure to comment and vote if you enjoy the story. It really does encourage me to keep writing for you guys! <3

 It really does encourage me to keep writing for you guys! <3

Voices drift in and out of focus, echoing inside of my head. It feels like it's being split in half. The pain increases the more I try to understand the words, but I push through the cloud of muffled silence.

"We've been here long enough," Celeste says. The words are distorted and hard for me to make out.

"We shouldn't continue in the dark," Alec argues. An intense pain pierces my skull and I feel my body twitch. I can't move anything; I can barely form a thought.

"Edlyn? Are you awake?" Celeste asks, her voice drifting closer to me. Her voice sounds deeper than usual. I hear Alec grunt in annoyance and it takes everything I have to force a muffled groan from my mouth. "I knew it. She's poisoned. We have to go now or she won't make it."

"She can't even walk."

"That's why you will be carrying her. Let's go." I hear leaves crunching and something moves along the forest floor. Alec mumbles something rude under his breath before I'm lifted into the air. My head lolls uncontrollably whenever Alec takes a step, but I'm too out of it to care. I just hope that we're almost to Trävore.

I'm not sure how long we walk for, but every minute that passes I lose more feeling in my body and my thoughts are becoming more and more clouded. My skin is covered in a cold sweat and I can't even move a single finger—I'm paralyzed.

After what seems like hours, the sickening movement stops and voices float around me, but I can't focus on them this time

After what seems like hours, the sickening movement stops and voices float around me, but I can't focus on them this time. I don't bother to try. My head hurts too much and any concern I once had for what is happening around me has evaporated. All I know is that I can smell pinecones and maple syrup. Mm, maple syrup...

Unfamiliar voices fill my ears and trigger curiosity. I put all my energy into understanding the voices and manage to get only bits and pieces of the conversation.

"...the...human..."

"Not..." This voice is Celeste's, although it sounds strange and warped in my ears.