Chapter 10.1: A Rainy Day at Court

I yawned my way through breakfast the next morning, despite my feigned headache the night before. I had made it back to the room before Ella had returned from dinner, slipping back into my nightclothes before anyone could catch me in my uniform dress. But despite pretending to be asleep when the other girls returned, I tossed and turned until well after midnight thanks to my growling stomach. Unluckily for me, instead of breakfast in our suite, we were expected to dine with the royals later in the morning, which meant that I had nothing but strong tea loaded with milk and sugar to get me through the hour and a half it took us to groom and prepare Ella.

When we were finally seated and the breakfast served in much the same way it was the first morning we had dined with the royals, I reached over and served myself a heaping portion of scrambled eggs and fried ham despite Mary Marquette's scandalized stare.

"A little decorum please," Rosanna said, leaning over to whisper to me. I was caught mid-yawn again, hastily covering it with my free hand as I served myself some toast. Ella cleared her throat across the table as Mary whispered something venomous to Camilla, one of her ladies in waiting. I studiously ignored all of them, instead shooting sidelong glances towards where Prince Andrew was chatting with his brother at the head table.

Andrew hadn't looked at me once since he'd entered, so I was unable to gauge whether he'd deciphered the note or if he'd even received it. I contemplated him as I chewed my toast, oblivious to the conversation at my own table until Rosanna not-so-subtly elbowed me. I looked around at her with raised eyebrows, only to notice that the entire table had fallen silent to stare at me, the only sounds coming from the string quartet in the corner and the other ladies chatting quietly around us.

"Yes?" I asked no one in particular, my eyes jumping from face to face as I dabbed at my lips with my napkin.

"I wonder if you could go back upstairs and fetch me a sash," Ella said finally, her face flushed crimson. I darted a look at Emily, who was staring straight down into her plate. The fact that she wasn't taking pleasure in my being dismissed from breakfast surely did not bode well.

"If only so that the rest of us may eat without sharing the table with a hog," Mary sniffed, her three ladies in waiting tittering as they grinned maliciously at me. I met her gaze, holding it until she pursed her lips and resumed slicing her fruit with a huff.

"Excuse yourself to the head table!" Rosanna hissed as I stood. The queen's eyes had landed upon me the moment I stood, so I dropped a curtsey, rising only when she gave the smallest of nods. I couldn't be sure, but it seemed that Prince Andrew looked over at me before I turned tail and bolted from the dining room.

Fuming, I stormed upstairs, determined to return as quickly as I could with a stupid sash for Ella. Clearly she had only asked to get me to leave the table and I wondered whether there was some palace rule against women eating large portions at mealtime. I hadn't been smacking my lips or chewing with my mouth open, of that I was certain, for there were certain rules that even I wouldn't dream of breaking in the presence of royalty. As I threw open the door to Ella's suite, it dawned on me that Mary Marquette had been one of the girls at the croquet game yesterday, so perhaps this was her payback for me sneaking a word in with the prince. I fished through Ella's collection of coloured sashes with a grimace, finally picking out a white lace one that would match her sunny yellow dress nicely.

I hurried back down the hallway, absently swinging the sash as I imagined what quippy reply I should've muttered when Mary had insulted me, only to slow my steps as I reached the top of the stairs. The hall below was silent, save for the music wafting out from the dining room. My hand rested on the polished wood banister as I cast a glance around, finally leaning over to peer into the hall below.