Outside The Lines {17}

“Dimitri.”

                He looked up at me curiously. “Yes, little Theodore?”

                “Are you tutoring afterschool?” I asked.

                We were sitting in English class, working on Hamlet study guides. I was keeping my voice down so that no one would overhear us.

                Dimitri nodded. “Yes, Thalia and Kimberly darling wanted me to tutor again.”

                “Tell them no,” I said.

                His lips curved into their usual smirk. “And why would I do that, little Theodore?”

                “Because we’re going on a date,” I grumbled.

                “We are? I wasn’t informed of this.”

                “Well I just informed you. So tell them you can’t.”

                “I don’t like to lie, little Theodore.”

                I shot him a glare. “Fine then. I guess we won’t go on a date.”

                “I said I don’t like to lie. I will, but it will cost you.” His smirk got wider and there was a gleam in his eyes I didn’t like.

                “Cost me how?” I asked suspiciously.

                “Why, Aleksandra is going to ask you to come over afterschool. I want to be there when you turn her down,” he said, enjoying this way more than he should.

                “You’re terrible,” I said with a sigh, but nodded in agreement.

                “Oh, you love me little Theodore,” he said cheerfully.

                I blushed. Dimitri didn’t know how true his words were. “Fuck you, Dimitri.”

                “What have I done, that thou dar’st wag thy tongue in noise so rude against me?” he asked, slapping a dramatic hand over his chest.

                “Do you always need to quote Hamlet?” I asked in annoyance.

                “Why, that was me quoting the Queen! Act 3 Scene 4,” he said, chuckling.

                “It’s scary that you know that,” I said, shaking my head at him.

                “I rather enjoy Hamlet,” he said, thoughtfully drumming his fingers on the book. “Plus, it’s easy to quote in most situations.”

                I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to my worksheet, ignoring Dimitri. I jumped a little as I felt his hand brush mine under our desks, but relaxed. He let his hand gently rest on top of mine, and we sat silently, spending the rest of the period like that.

                When the bell rang, I wandered over to Thalia and Oliver. We made our way to study hall, taking our usual seats. I almost groaned when Alek came over. Thank god Dimitri was never on time to classes.

                “Hey Theo,” she greeted as the bell rang.

                “Hi Alek,” I said, hoping she asked me before Dimitri came in the room.