{7}

Chapter Seven

Of all the four years Casper had known Logan he had been anything but quiet and awkward. Even when he first met him he was causing mayhem in the classroom on the first day. And it seemed, much to Casper’s annoyance, that he was only being that way around Casper. If he was being this way because he felt awkward about what happened at the party Casper would have understood... sort of. But he seemed fine talking to James, sure they were best friends but Casper was Logan’s friend too and he... was just a big bag of dicks.

Hedgehog and Daisy were oblivious, being in their own world of pure love and all that crap. Surely Hedgehog was informed of what went down after she had left to comfort Daisy in ways that shall never be revealed and kept a secret to everyone but Daisy and Hedgehog (in any other circumstance the boys would have expressed how unfair it was  to them). But seriously, not even in a kind of love trance state would you be able to miss the awkward silence and tension hanging around them, they were purposely ignoring it.

Though Daisy did say at one point that she had tried calling him and texting him a lot over the weekend. To be honest Casper totally forgot about his phone and how he had turned it off and hid it in his sock drawer. Of course he didn’t want to say all that. “Oh yeah, my phone just disappeared. I don’t know where it is.” He gave an awkward laugh and Daisy gave him a look like she didn’t believe him but left it anyway.

James was the one getting on Casper’s nerves the most and not even in his usual way which pissed Casper off even more.

James was being quieter than he usually was and his teasing had become more calculated and more hesitant, as if he was treading on thin ice: take the wrong step and he was a goner but, for Casper every safe step he took the more further away he seemed and that feeling of loneliness was now so high on the list of things that confused Casper – even the list seemed to be filled with James and that in question made the list itself. Even so, James was still forcing the idea that nothing had happened, when it obviously had, and Casper stubbornly left him with the idea that he could make things go back to normal but so far it was just getting worse.

Suddenly with one stupid kiss everything was going to shit.

It wasn’t even James’ attitude towards Casper that was pissing him off; it was what Casper had started to notice about him too. He had become more conscience of James and was noticing this about him he’d never even batted an eye lid to. Like, how he fiddled with his left stretcher when he was nervous and bit his lip when he was deep in thought – when Casper first noticed it he’d got up and all but bolted to the boys toilets and stayed there until the bell rung, freaking out about the fact he’d been staring at his lips and his reaction down low when his teeth had pulled at his bottom lip. It did things that Casper wouldn’t be able to confuse with anything but arousal or the sudden want to capture those lips with his own.

In classes he had with James his eyes always seemed to find him. In corridors he suddenly realised he was looking out for him, for a glance of him. And at the usual lunch table he would sit and wait for him without realising either.

They would both walk to school and back together with strained conversations and half hearted fighting to what they had before, sometimes the fighting would get a little too deep and both boys stopped before anything could slip out or cause further tension and neither of them lifted a hand to one another. Casper didn’t dare touch him, not even with the thought of violence because he would suddenly have these conflicted feelings of what would happen if he did. He realised he ached to touch James.

It was fucking maddening and crazy. James was a guy. A guy that was a good kisser, he’d give him that, but a guy all the same and one that he had hated since the day he met the son of a bitch.