Chapter Sixteen - Empower Me

It was embarrassing.

Here she was, trying to prove to them all that she was just as strong as any man and yet now, as she was lying balled up in her tent, she had to admit that she wasn't.

They were one night away from The Western Coast and then this happened.

As many of the other things she had forgotten to take into account for when she left Rochess, she had also forgotten about her monthly bleeds. In her rush, she had forgotten all about packing some herbal soothers for her cramps. That meant she was now left to suffer silently in her tent while the men were enjoying their dinner outside by the fire.

It had been so embarrassing that morning when she had awoken. When she hadn't emerged from her tent for breakfast as always, Dashel had poked his head inside to ask if she was okay.

Like a fool, she had lied to him and told him she was just feeling under the weather. There was no way she was going to tell him she was immobile because of her gender's need to bleed every month. It was taboo – and besides, men didn't understand it anyway.

At least it explained why she had been feeling so emotional lately. She always got extra sensitive up to her bleeds.

Suddenly she heard scampering outside her tent.

"Emaia?"

Of course it was Aide. His melodious voice had long ago been imprinted in her head.

"What is it?" Emaia muttered while painstakingly clutching her stomach. It hurt so much.

"May I come in for a moment?"

Oh, no. He couldn't see her like this. Not in this state.

"I'm not feeling well," She said and made her voice raspy, "I don't want you to catch my illness." She coughed for good measure.

Suddenly the pelt to her tent was pulled aside and Aide looked in. "I know you're not sick, Emaia."

When he carefully climbed in, Emaia moved over in the tiny tent. How come he just knew she was lying? He could always tell.

"What do you want?" She asked once he had pulled the pelt down again.

"Here. Drink this."

Emaia now discovered he was holding something in his hand, a mug. She sat up and grimaced a little when another gut-wrenching shot of pain twisted in her stomach. "Why?"

Aide looked down at the mug and a smiled gingerly. "When the women back in my clan had their cramps, they drank this. It relieved them from their pains."

That caught her off hand. How could he possibly know?

"I know enough mothers and young girls to know the signs," Aide replied and offered her the cup again, "Please, drink it. I promise it will help."

Emaia frowned for a second, but then carefully looked into the cup. "What is it?" The consistency reminded her of spinach stew. It was thick and green, with small flakes of grounded herbs. It looked... disgusting.

"It's an elf secret," Aide chuckled at the sight of her disgusted grimace. "And besides, I think it's better if you don't know."

Emaia gave the cup a sniff. Weirdly enough, it smelled like thyme.

Like him.

"Okay," She finally said and took the mug. At this point, she didn't care if it was poisonous. Her cramps were so dreadful, she felt like dying anyway.

She lifted the cup to her lips and drank. The content was warm, like tea. The thick sauce of a mixture slid down her throat, and to her complete and utter surprise, it tasted really good.