Chapter 22 : The Ultimate Betrayal.

Chapter 22

~Scottie’s POV~

My eyes kept darting between the two as the council chief elder spoke. I still couldn’t believe they were mates, who would’ve thought my brother Marcus; tough, serious with his smiles seldom and far between would have been mated to the one creature he despised; a fucking werewolf!

And not just any werewolf; Rivers; the loud, flamboyant, crazy and loving Rivers? It was insane and at the same time; perfect. I couldn’t even imagine what their lives would be like; The bossy Marcus being bossed around by the bossy Rivers; it would certainly make for an interesting power play.

I’d been surprised by Marcus’ actions at the airport after Rivers had made his announcement. I’d expected Marcus to outright reject it as  nonsense or at the very least ignore Rivers’ ramblings all together but instead he’d caught sight of Rivers and had just frozen, recognition dawning as if he’d known him forever even though I knew for a fact that it was the first time they’d ever met.

Then Marcus had stared some more as Rivers talked his ear off about how he’d finally found his mate and the man of his dreams and the number of times he’d told Marcus he was beautiful was just hilarious.

But through it all my brother had just stared; somewhat in disbelief, somewhat in awe and  when we’d finally arrived at camp, and Thomas had set up a meeting with the chief elder, Marcus had finally grown distant; telling Rivers in no uncertain terms to back off.

Now they both sat on opposite sides of the small space, Marcus’ eyes firmly planted on the elder and Rivers’ eyes firmly planted on Marcus. It was all just a bit strange but not as bizarre as the explanation the chief elder was giving.

“I’ve seen this type of bond only once before. Typical lycanthropes cannot feel pain inflicted on their partner, they cannot hear their thoughts or feel their fear and they certainly cannot feel the pull of their mate from thousands of miles away as you both have.” The elder looked at them both in turn.

Rivers was finally concentrating on the elder’s words, his eyes wide with interest.

“I knew we weren’t mates, there has to be another explanation.” Marcus said and I didn’t miss the hurt look Rivers sent his way.

“On the contrary Corsetti, If Rivers feels the mating bond with you then you are indeed his mate.” The elder went on and Marcus’ brow furrowed.

“But you just said werewolves don’t feel the things we do.” He argued.

“And I also said, I’ve seen your type of bond once before. You are mated to Rivers, however it goes a little deeper than the usual. Have you ever heard the term soul mates?” the chief elder turned his filmy eyes on Marcus.

Marcus scoffed, leaning back into his seat and folding his arms across his chest. “What now you’re telling me he’s my soul mate? Don’t be ridiculous.”

“That is exactly what I’m saying. The bond between two wolves is forced, if it is that those same wolves were human there’s no guarantee they would end up together, however in your case, if you had been humans you would still have been drawn to each other. You’d have met and fallen in love despite the wolf bond and that’s the reason you have such a potent link.”

Marcus shook his head in disbelief.

“I believe it and I know you do too even if you won’t admit it.” Rivers said softly, his eyes focused on Marcus who refused to even glance his way.