Party's Over (Tony Stark x reader)

It was the end of an epic party at Avengers tower; the team was celebrating a huge victory and desperately needed a way to relax after the long and arduous weeks before. The last of the guests had just departed, but the group wasn't quite ready to stop just yet. Tony had just poured another round of drinks as everyone settled into the lounge and decided it was time to dance.

"FRIDAY, we need a sick beat to shake our asses to!"

The walls were shaking with the deep bass resonating thru the tower. No one had taken the initiative to be the first to dance, because the alcohol had finally caught up with them and they weren't sure of their footing. But since Steve was unable to be affected, he was more than ready to go. He gave you a quick wink and grabbed you by your waist, twirling you into his chest.

Steve had been your best friend for years, and he never had trouble talking to you like he did with other women. You were just like one of the guys. "All right, hot stuff, let's do this." As Steve dipped, spun, and lifted you around the room, you were smiling and laughing loudly with each movement. Just as Steve flipped you over his shoulder, you briefly caught a glimpse of Tony, a disapproving look on his face. You gave the Captain a quick tap on his shoulder.

"Hey, I think we had better cool it."

He looked down at you to see where your eyes were focused and saw Tony slam his drink back, pounding the glass down on the bar. "Yeah, uh, no problem." He gave you one final dip, kissing your cheek. "Thanks for the dance, doll."

Straightening your dress, you walked over to Tony, cautiously approaching your boyfriend of one year. "Hey, baby, what's wrong?" You put your hand on his but he quickly pulled it away.

"Lab, please." He spun on his heel, curtly walking away towards the door; you quickly and quietly followed. Looking back, you gave Steve a shrug and mouthed 'now what?' as you struggled to keep up.

~~~

The second that the lab doors were closed, Tony turned to face you, his arms folded across his chest and his jaw set.

"You mind telling me what the fuck that was about?"

Your whole body stiffened from the anger in his voice. "What do you mean, Tony?"

"You know exactly what I mean, (Y/N)! I'm so sick of you flirting with grandpa America out there! And it's all the time!" With each sentence, his voice grew louder. He slammed his fist on the table, "I'm not the only one who sees it, and it makes me look like an idiot!"

"Tony, you know that Steve and I have been friends for years. I don't think of him that way, and he definitely doesn't think of me that way." You kept your tone even and quiet, hoping to diffuse his temper. "I think you've had too much to drink tonight, and it's clouding your judgment."

"Oh, it's clouding my judgment? MY judgment?!" He walked towards you, now standing toe-to-toe, looking down at you with dark eyes. "I'm not the one out there playing grab-ass with Steve!"

"Tony, we were just dancing. You're the one who turned on the music, remember?"

He took a deep breath and turned away from you. His tone became flat. "So, what is it? Is it me? Do I not give you what you need? Am I not what you want anymore?"

Cautiously, you reached out and touched his hand. "Baby, there's nothing like that going on."

He abruptly turned and burst forward towards you, his hands landing on the wall on either side of your head. "Then what is it?!"

The enraged motion scared you to your core, and you dropped to the ground, eyes shut tight and hands in front of your face. "Please, don't..." you whispered, barely audible.

Tony was suddenly sober.

"Oh my god, (Y/N), I'm so sorry. (Y/N), hey, you're okay. Honey, I'm not going to hit you. Please, look at me." He didn't want to touch you, for fear of scaring you more than he already had.

By now you were close to hyperventilating; your hands were shaking and beginning to feel numb. "Tony," you murmured, "please leave me alone." You sat back against the wall and pulled your knees up to your chest, eyes still closed. "I need a minute."

Tony stood slowly, cautiously as if not to startle you in your breakable state. "I'm going to be outside, okay?" He waited a moment, but you didn't answer. As he walked out the door, he looked back at you with eyes full of regret.

Ready to come to your aid, Steve was standing across from the entry, waiting for him. When you didn't follow, your friend confronted him.

"What the hell did you do, Stark?"

Tony opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. His expression was confused and anxious. He closed his eyes and rubbed his hands over his face, uncertain of what was going to happen.

Pushing him aside with his shoulder, Steve opened the lab door. As he was about to enter, you ran past him towards your room. You didn't want to speak to anyone, much less Tony or Steve; all you wanted to do was hide. They both called out after you, but your mind was wrapped within itself and it was as if they weren't even there.

~~~

Tony raised his hand to knock, but was interrupted before he could connect with the door.

"Sir, miss (Y/N) asked to not be disturbed." FRIDAY paused, as if the A.I. were considering the correct tone to use. It came across almost sad. "Particularly in regards to you, boss."

He knocked anyway. "(Y/N), can we please talk? I'm worried about you. I am an idiot, but not because of anything you did, because you didn't do anything. I'm an idiot because...well, because I just am." Tony rested his forehead against the door, letting out a deep sigh. "Please, sweetheart."

Pulling your head out from under your covers, you relented. "FRIDAY, go ahead and let him in." As the door opened, you met his gaze. He looked sad, tired, and smaller somehow. You motioned for him to sit at the edge of your bed.

He looked at you for the longest time, not speaking. After several minutes, you finally began, believing that he never would. "I thought you were going to hit me, Tony. I'm an Avenger; I can take a hit in any fight. But when you came at me, I was scared." He lowered his head, his hands clasped together.

"You don't know this about me yet, and maybe I should have told you sooner," you took a deep, shaky breath, "but I grew up in a very abusive home, Tony. For years I woke up every day, wondering if I would take a wrong step, look at my dad the wrong way, say something I shouldn't have, or anything that would bring on his anger. I have a sister, so it was just the three of us. I'm older so it was my job to protect her. As far as I know, he never raised a hand to her. I took it all, and to this day I don't regret keeping him away from her. I would do it again."

By this time he had moved closer to you, his hand on yours. He was still cautious, not sure of the reaction you might have to him.

"I'm here today because I want to protect people who can't protect themselves. It's kinda funny, I can't seem to do that for myself though. I worry that if you had hit me-"

"(Y/N), I would never-"

"If you had," you continued, "I think I would have let you."

His eyes were now wet with tears, his voice faltering. "What can I do? How can I make this right?"

You laid back down on your pillows, pulling the blanket back so he could join you. "Just stay by me. Just keep me safe."

He pulled you close to his chest and kissed your head. "Honey, I'm not going anywhere, I promise."