I'm Not Sick (Tony Stark x reader)

You had thought that as you got older, your fear of needles would diminish. The logical, reasoning side of your brain would shut out the emotional and irrational side. Wow, were you wrong. It only got worse, because now you anticipated it; you knew it was coming. As a child your mom or the nurse would distract you with toys or candy or silly faces until it was finally over. No one's doing that now. Nope, you're on your own.

It was really easy to avoid visiting the doctor when you were well. Don't fix it if it ain't broke, right? Well, it broke. You had been sick for a week when Tony finally convinced you that you had to see a doctor, even if he had to carry you in on his back.

"Look! I'm all better! Really!" Jumping up from the bed, you tried to prove that all this fuss wasn't necessary, but in the middle of your master plan, dizziness decided to ruin everything. You flopped back down, squeezing your eyes shut and grabbing your head. "Woah, maybe not."

"Okay, that's it. We're going right now." Tony started putting your shoes on as you groaned, beginning to feel that familiar pang of nausea that comes with the thought of a giant needle coming at you.

"Hey, do you think maybe I could wear something other than my pajamas?"

"No. You're stalling."

You could feel your hands beginning to tremble, clutching them together so he wouldn't notice. This was all mind-over-matter, right? Just talk yourself out of it. It's just a tiny needle, just a little poke, then it's done. Or, it's probably a massive needle used to bore a hole thru your arm. Yeah, that sounds more truthful. You're walking into a torture chamber, clearly.

"What if they want to take blood?" You knew he was going to make fun of you, but it just slipped out. "I don't like needles, Tony."

His head snapped up, a wide grin on his face. "Aw, that's so cute! Are you scared?"

With a huff, you pushed his hands away, risking further vertigo to tie your own shoes. "It's not cute, Tony. Are your panic attacks cute? No, I don't think they are, are they?" With your head down the room began to spin again. You leaned forward against his shoulder as he picked you up. "Okay, okay, you're right; maybe we should go."

~~~

"You know, (Y/N), if you want, I could make faces at you while you get your blood drawn? Tell you a story? Promise you ice cream afterwards?"

"I'm not a child, Tony, stop it. You're not helping."

"I bet if we dig around in here, we could find a box of suckers or some stickers for you...if you're a good girl."

His voice became muffled in your ears, almost distant. Your vision was filling with dancing black spots and your head was heavy. Grabbing his arm, you leaned over towards the garbage, just in case your stomach betrayed you.

"Hey, hey, sweetheart? You okay?" He was now kneeling in front of you and brushing your hair back from your face. His face was full of concern and belief that something was actually going on now.

You sat quietly, a grip on his arm as you closed your eyes and focused on your breathing. He could feel the tremor in the hand you held him with; he put his hand over yours, hoping to calm you.

"You're really scared, aren't you?" His eyes were sad now, regretting all that he had said before. "Oh, honey, I'm sorry. I was just trying to lighten the mood and take your mind off things. I'm not very good at this, huh?"

As the feelings subsided, you sat back against the chair, but your eyes were still closed. The nurse entered the room to take the blood sample; Tony was now kneeling directly in front of you holding both of your hands in his.

"Put your arm up here please."

With a small groan, you turned your head away and bit into your lower lip, anticipating the pain. Maybe if you bit hard enough it would hurt even more than the needle and you wouldn't notice it.

"Hey, look at me, (Y/N)."

Opening only one eye, you looked down at Tony and choked out a strained laugh. "Oh my god, you're ridiculous!"

The man was actually making faces at you to distract you from what the nurse was doing. Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist Tony Stark, looking like a complete idiot. For you.

"Tony, what the hell are you doing?" Your words came out as laughs, tears filling your eyes now. "This isn't going to work, but I give you credit for the effort."

"Ok, we're all done. Just hold pressure on that spot for at least a minute."

"Are you serious?! I didn't even feel that!"

Tony's smile grew wider now, standing to kiss your forehead. "Ok, kiddo. I made a promise. Chocolate or vanilla?"