Can We Dance? (Tony Stark x reader)

Based off the song Can We Dance by the Vamps

If you didn't know that he was Tony Stark, and if you didn't know that he had quite the reputation with women, the man at the bar staring at you intently for the last ten minutes would have given you the creeps enough so that you would have left long ago. His eyes were dark but disarming; in the few times you glanced in his direction, he never smiled nor did he attempt to cover the fact that he was staring. When you finally gathered the will to hold his gaze, it was only mere seconds before he set his drink on the bar and made his way to you, never wavering in his determination.

I talk a lot of (shh) when I'm drinking, baby,

I'm known to go a little too fast.

Don't mind all my friends, I know they're all crazy,

But they're the only friends that I have.

I know I don't know you,

But I'd like to skip the small talk and romance, girl.

That's all I have to say so, baby, can we dance?

He was briefly halted by the man with him, grabbing his arm and pulling him back towards the bar. Their conversation looked heated, but it was impossible to hear with the loud music that filled the room. Stark pointed at you once, grabbed his drink from where he had left it to take the final swallow, and turned towards you again. You held your breath, watching him, knowing that he would more than likely become just another one of your bad decisions.

"Has anyone told you that you're the most beautiful woman in the room?"

You stared at him for a moment, surprised at his lack of originality in picking up a woman. "Wow. You know, I've heard the stories, I've seen the pictures of the fabulous women you've had on your arm, but I never realized just how clichéd you were until I've heard it in person." You smiled graciously and turned to leave, hoping he would try again. "I guess I just expected more from a guy like you."

"Hey," he called after you, "I can do better, I can do better, just hold on." He reached out for you and held you in place as he smiled, stalling while he thought up a better line with which to impress you. When nothing came, he sighed and shrugged his shoulders in defeat. "Okay, I can't do better. I guess you just have me all flustered."

"I'm Tony," he said as he took your hand and raised it to his lips.

"I know who you are."

"Well, my reputation is widely known."

"More than you realize," you mumbled under your breath. You glimpsed over his shoulder and eyed his friend, still standing at the bar with a disapproving look on his face, watching Tony carefully. "So, what's up with your friend over there? Wingman or babysitter?"

Here we go again, another drink I'm caving in,

And stupid words keep falling from my mouth.

You know that I mean well,

My hands were meant for somewhere else.

Your eyes are doing naughty butterflies

Tony turned to look back but gave him barely a glance before he turned back to you. "Don't worry about him. Come on." He took your hand and pulled you quickly onto the dance floor, grabbing you tightly against him with his hands sliding further down your back and his face in your neck. If not for the slight buzz of alcohol weakening your inhibitions, it would have felt too intimate for where you were.

"So," he murmured into your skin, "do I get to know your name?"

"I'm considering it," you purred, "but I don't want to give too much away."

He dipped you back away from him and leaned in to lay warm kisses down your neck and onto your chest. You could see your friend on the other side of the room have a disapproving look that matched the look of Tony's friend from a few feet away. You began to feel uncomfortable with their eyes on you, pulling yourself upright and pushing away against his chest.

I was nearly in, but then came the pushy friend,

Killed the vibe and took my perfect ten away.

You know I need you, girl,

My heart's not made for someone else.

So save me here 'cause I can barely stand.

"Um...I...I'm sorry, I think I should go." You gave him a quick kiss on his cheek and walked away towards your friend, grabbing her hand and moving fast to leave the room and to leave his line of sight. You could feel his eyes on you, and it took all of your willpower to not turn back to him.

Not sure what had just happened, but having an idea that his friend was at fault, Tony returned to the bar for a refill of his drink and a few harsh words. "Something to say, Barton?"

"You've heard everything before. You're never gonna learn, are ya, Stark?"

Tony turned to look at the door where you exited only moments ago, hoping to see you return but finding only disappointment. "Didn't even get her name." He took a long drink and set his glass down with determination. "But I will, you watch."

I've been a bad, bad boy

Whispering rude things in her ear,

Please say she'll break,

Please say she'll change

Her mind and bring me back to her place.

You stopped with your friend as you left the room, stopping her before you got too far away. "You go ahead, I'm gonna stay a bit longer."

"No," she scolded, "I didn't invite you here just so you could fall for his game. Tell me, what exactly do you expect to happen, (Y/N)?"

"I expect you to go and let me make my own mistakes, Nat." You sighed and reached for the door, not looking back at her as you entered the room. "I expect this to be one really good mistake."

You looked to the bar and felt relief to see Tony there and his friend nowhere in sight. Making your way to him, you couldn't look anywhere else. You slid up next to him and grabbed his glass, taking a drink with a confidence that you knew he would like. He didn't say anything, and when you looked at him his eyes were dark but bright with excitement at seeing you again.

His friend walked up behind him and cleared his throat to announce his arrival. You looked at him with a stern expression and grabbed Tony's hand. You leaned in close enough to whisper, your warm breath leaving goose bumps on his skin.

"We're leaving. You'd better live up to that reputation, Stark."