Compromised (Clint Barton x reader)

On the final lap of your run around the Reflecting Pool at Lincoln Memorial, you felt your phone buzzing in your pocket; if you didn't know better you would say that the vibration felt frantic. Turning off your music, you sat on the steps to catch your breath and take a quick drink of water to cool down. Looking at the phone you were shocked to see that you had missed three calls from Agent Hill in the last ten minutes.

"Maria, what's going on?"

"It's about damn time you answer your phone." Her voice sounded annoyed, but she didn't push it any further. "We need you to come in. Coulson is on the way to pick up Stark in New York, then he'll swing down to get you on the way back."

Pouring your cool water on the back of your neck, you shuddered at not only the change in temperature, but the idea of having to ride in close quarters with Tony Stark. The popular opinion of him around SHIELD was that he was a major pain in the ass. "Really? Can't I just get my own ride? What's so urgent that Coulson has to-"

"(Y/N). Barton's been compromised."

~~~

You remained silent on the flight to the helicarrier, successfully managing to avoid that Stark guy altogether up to this point. Agent Coulson filled you in on the events leading up to this moment, and in your hands lay a tablet full of information on an Asgardian named Loki, his brother Thor, the Tesseract, Dr. Bruce Banner, Tony Stark (of course), and the recently-found-alive Captain America. Despite the order from Fury to verse yourself in all of these details, any thoughts you had were focused on Clint.

Barton had quickly become one of your closest friends as you joined SHEILD within only a few weeks of each other. You really had nothing in common other than your desire to serve and protect. He was a few years older than you and gave himself the role of 'protective big brother' without allowing you any choice in the matter, even when your fighting skills grew to surpass his. Clint was one of the strongest people you knew, so for him to be turned was a shock and confusing to you.

Closing your eyes, you rested your head against the wall of the jet; studying would have to wait. Your solitude was interrupted as you closed in on the landing pad.

"Hey, I'm Tony. You are?"

"Agent (Y/L/N)." Standing to gather your gear, you moved towards the rear door of the jet, ready to disembark.

"Okay. Nice chat."

~~~

Taking your station on the bridge, you pulled up any and all files that SHIELD had on Clint Barton, hoping to find some hint as to where he might go. With him under Loki's spell, he could be anywhere and likely wasn't himself anyway. You were grasping at straws trying to come up with anything that would lead you to him.

You startled as a hand rested on your shoulder. "Hey, I'm being sent to talk to Loki. You should listen in." Nodding silently, you brought up the view of the detention cell on your screen as Natasha walked away.

"I won't touch Barton. Not until I make him kill you. Slowly. Intimately. In every way he knows you fear. And then he'll wake just long enough to see his good work. And when he screams, I'll split his skull."

This guy had your blood boiling. If given the chance, you would kill him yourself.

"So, Banner. That's your play."

As the director ran from the bridge towards the lab, Maria threw you an earpiece to stay connected with the rest of the team, anticipating trouble. You checked your gun for ammunition and secured the knives you had strapped inside each of your boots. The argument from the lab grew louder in your ear, the discussion overlapping so you couldn't discern conversations. Seconds later an explosion rocked the ship, alarms blaring and power fluctuating.