Shades of Red (Clint Barton x reader)

The first arrow shot forward and landed only inches from the center of the target; after working with Clint for the past two months, you were finally getting the hang of it. Your progress wasn't as fast as you had hoped, given how quickly you could adapt to any other weapon in your grasp. He tried to reassure you that working with a bow was a delicate skill that required this much practice, but you still couldn't help but feel a certain amount of frustration.

"You're doing great, (Y/N). Why is that so hard to believe? If anyone should know, don't you think it would be me?"

"I just feel like I should've hit the center by now," you sighed as you packed away your gear for the day. "I usually catch on to things faster than this, that's all. I'm used to being more towards the front of the class, I guess you could say."

Clint smiled and reached out to put a supportive hand on your arm, but you reflexively pulled back and continued to pack without missing a beat; it was almost so natural to you that you didn't even realize you did it anymore. His smile turned sad as he turned to leave, rather giving you a small wave instead.

"See you tomorrow, then?"

"Sure, tomorrow."

~~~

"Hey, (Y/N), how'd training go with Barton today?" When you entered the locker room next to the gym, Natasha was finishing getting dressed after her daily workout, just about to exit so you could take the shower.

"Good, overall." You shook your head slightly and sighed, still upset with yourself, "I'll do better tomorrow."

"You put too much pressure on yourself, you know that? With everything." She threw her bag over her shoulder and grabbed the door, but paused just before opening it to turn back to you. "You should take a minute to figure out where that comes from."

You nodded silently as she exited, but you knew exactly where it came from, and so did she; she just didn't realize that you knew and that you shared the experiences of the Red Room. You remembered her very clearly as the vibrant red head who always mastered every skill easily, and you vowed to match her talents one day. It didn't bother you that she didn't remember you; it was a long time ago and you had done your best back then to stay in the shadows and just survive. As you undressed for the shower, your mind was wandering and you didn't notice that she had returned.

"Sorry, (Y/N), I just forgot-"

Natasha gasped slightly when she saw you, and stepped forward quickly to your side. You pulled up your shirt and turned away, embarrassed that she had seen so much of the scars that you carried with you. You didn't want her to realize who you were, but now it was inevitable.

"Why didn't you tell me who you were, (Y/N)?" She tried to look at your face but you kept yourself turned away. She grabbed your arm and spun you towards her, studying your face, "I remember you. I knew you."

"That was a long time ago, Nat. I didn't expect you to, honestly." You pulled your arm away from her grasp and backed away towards the shower, hoping it would cue her to leave. "Really, I'm okay. Just let it go, alright?"

~~~

The next day Clint was late to practice. You tried to text, call, and even have FRIDAY look for him, but to no avail. You took the time to practice on your own, finding yourself thankful for the opportunity to work without him watching you. You felt more relaxed, shooting until the moment came when the arrow pierced through the red circle at the center of the target.

"Yes! Finally!"

"I knew you had it in you."

You spun around to see Clint leaning against the far wall of the room, smiling and clapping as he began to walk towards you. "I figured it might be worth a shot to let you work through it on your own. You don't need me breathing down your neck. Probably just made it worse anyway, right?"