Something Worth Saving (Pietro Maximoff x reader)

You knew him. The man lying motionless at your feet was from Sokovia, but he had been fighting with the team that had saved you. You knew that you had seen his silver hair before, probably just around the city during your daily business, but he had never really caught your attention beyond that, nor you his. If he was with the team called the Avengers, he must be something special. Something worth saving.

When the rescue boats were finally back on the helicarrier and you were released to wait for the return to the ground, you followed them as they took his body away. You were only able to go so far without raising suspicion, but you were able to hear enough to know that the man named Pietro would be buried here before the team was to leave, and you would wait.

Many hours later, you watched as the Avengers buried one of their own; their faces were solemn and distraught, no one more than his sister, who you now knew was named Wanda. Seeing her so broken gave you even more resolve to do this; if not for Pietro himself, then for her. When the team boarded their jet and left the country, you made your move. Unearthing him was tedious and tiring, but you kept your purpose in focus. When you finally reached him, you were thankful that the dark of night had come to hide what you were doing. You closed your eyes and jumped down into the grave that you had just opened.

~~~

You were certain that you had brought him back; you could feel his heartbeat and see the rise and fall of his chest as he breathed, but he had yet to wake up after several hours of waiting. You had healed his wounds, and with the energy of returning his life to him, you were exhausted. If he wasn't going to wake yet, then perhaps it was best for you to rest with him. Still staying close by, you leaned back in your chair and slowly closed your eyes, feeling the first wonderful seconds of sleep.

"What happened?" His voice was rough and quiet, but enough to pull you from the haze of early sleep. "Where am I?"

Standing quickly and moving to his side, you tried to maintain calm as to not startle him too much. Even healed, he was too weak from the experience and you didn't want to risk injury. "Pietro, I'm (Y/N). You are a part of the Avengers, from what I could tell. Does that sound familiar to you?"

"Ultron! We have to stop him...we have to..." He tried to sit up, panicked, but his fatigue was too much. "Wanda..."

"It's okay. You stopped him, it's over." You placed a cool towel on his head and softly caressed his hand to calm him. "You're safe here, I promise. You will be strong enough to return to them soon, okay?"

Pietro nodded his head slightly, closing his eyes and returning to a deep sleep.

~~~

Wanda's days were dark and quiet as she tried to recover from the events of Sokovia and the loss of her brother. The team tried to help, but solitude seemed to be what she needed more than anything. She hadn't been a part of this group long enough to have any real friends, and she felt alone, up until the moment when she thought she felt him in her mind.

"Hey, what can I do to help?" Clint was standing at her door, apprehensive about entering but wanting to be sure that she was at least taking care of herself. Since working with her during the battle, he had become protective of her, and with Pietro gone it had become his main focus.

"Nothing, thank you." She looked at him with a confused expression, "I think I can feel him."

Clint sighed, not sure if he was ready for this conversation, "well, the memory of someone can do that. It's hard to accept that they're gone, and the mind can play tricks like that."

"No, not like that. I felt him die." Her eyes moved quickly, looking at the floor but not seeing it; she was searching her own mind. "And now...I feel him alive. How can that be?"