The Cyclone (Rogers/Barnes x reader)

Another crappy Friday night at home. Another Friday night hearing from a friend of a friend of a friend that plans were made and you were left out. Again. Sometimes going out with friends was hard; the energy of interacting with so many people and the attention some of your friends needed could really wear you out. Sure, you had no problem staying home with your favorite book or a Netflix marathon until your butt was numb from sitting too long, but you couldn't help but feel pangs of sadness and a hint of jealousy at their ease to go about their plans without you. It certainly didn't help that your neighbors across the street had the most adventurous and exciting life that you could imagine. It made you feel just that much more bitter.

The window behind your TV provided you with a clear view of the Avengers tower, and if you were lucky, you could see your friends Steve and Bucky as they sparred in the gym every night. Their fights were impressive to watch, and you wondered if they had ever seen you admiring them. That would be mortifying. Tonight, however, they weren't there and the tower was dark. Maybe they were on a mission, or more likely, just out on the town, enjoying their Friday.

At least someone should. This is the worst Friday ever.

Well, if you were gonna be sad, then you were gonna do it right. Curling up on your couch with a bowl of popcorn and your favorite slippers, you began your search for the most depressing movie that Netflix had to offer. A loud knock came from your door, making you jump so high you spilled your snack everywhere. "Dammit. Hold on!" Brushing popcorn from your shirt and straightening your hair with your fingers, you walked to the door and looked thru the peephole.

"Oh, perfect." You rested your forehead on the door, gathering your will to open it to the two goofballs on the other side. Another loud knock came, the noise resonating thru your head as you pulled it quickly off of the door.

"Come on, you guys!" Swinging the door open, you were greeted by Steve and Bucky. "I said to hold on! Give a girl a chance!"

The two men pushed past you into your apartment, admiring the burrow you had made on the couch, popcorn strewn everywhere. "So, big plans for your Friday night I see?"

You closed the door and leaned back against it, folding your arms across your chest. "Problem, Steve?"

"As a matter of fact, yes." Bucky stepped forward to stand next to you now, and your posture relaxed at his wide smile and gentle tone. "We would like to take you out this evening, ma'am." He gave you a little bow and looked back at Steve to join in.

"If you would do us the honor, of course."

Your eyes conveyed your shock at this, frozen in place now and unable to put a single thought together to answer them. The silence had become uncomfortable by the time Steve finally took control. "Okay," he grabbed your arm and led you to your room, but you hesitated as he tried to push you forward, "you go get ready. (Y/N)? Okay?"

"Um, wait. Where are we going?"

"We're getting you the hell out of here. (Y/N), you need to be shown a good time, we reckon." Bucky grabbed a mouthful of popcorn, wiping the melted butter from his hands onto his jeans. "And we're just the fellas to do it."

~~~

You had never ridden on Steve's motorcycle before, and his speed was more than you had expected. You would think that Captain America would be the poster child for safety and law abiding, but apparently not. Your arms were holding tight around his waist as you held your head against his back, turned so that you could see Bucky along side of you. The glow from the streetlights gave him a warmth that you had never noticed before.

The city lights had faded long ago, and the bike finally slowed enough for you to feel like you could release your hold on Steve, just a little.

"Hey, I can breathe again!" He pulled the bike in to a parking spot and lowered the kickstand. He stood and grabbed you by the waist, lifted you off the seat and removed your helmet. "Ok, here we are!"

"Coney Island?"

"Hell yeah, doll! Let's do this!" Bucky grabbed your hand, pulling you quickly forward, running towards the lights and noise, laughing the whole way.

~~~

Within three hours, you had walked the length of the Boardwalk, marveled at the number of Nathan's hot dogs Steve could eat in one sitting, braved the haunted house, took a spin on the Carousell, and watched Steve and Bucky clear out almost every game stand, winning toys for any kid who stopped to see Captain America in person. The fireworks were about to start, thankfully, as your legs were ready to give out from the frantically paced evening. The boys were right, you needed to get out and have a good time, and they made damn good on their promise to give you one.

Steve sat to your right as Bucky was lying on his back, his head on your lap. This was a new level of comfort for you; he had never shown any interest in this much contact. Maybe you were misreading his actions, maybe it was just a friendly thing. Did you want it to be more? Now you weren't sure, looking down at him as his eyes excitedly watched the colors light the night sky. Steve leaned in and nudged you gently with his shoulder.

Nodding down towards his friend, who was too enthralled in the fireworks, he looked at you with a smirk. "Hmm?"

'I don't know?' you mouthed silently and shrugged your shoulders a bit. He winked and gave a small laugh as he turned back to the sky.

When the show finished, Bucky sat up and rubbed his hands together. "Ok, one more thing before we go! The Cyclone!" He jumped up, a huge smile on his face, watching Steve's reaction.

"Buck, no."

"Steve, yes."

"Buck. Come on, why?" You had never seen Steve pout before, and is was actually quite adorable. "I'm gonna throw up again. No one wants to see that."

You stood next to Bucky as he grabbed your hand and began to back away towards the coaster. "You don't know that for sure, Steve. I mean, you're 'Super Steve' now, so maybe not, huh?"

Squeezing his eyes shut tight and shaking his head, he reluctantly stood and followed you. "Okay," he groaned, "but it's your fault if this goes bad. If I see one picture of me with my head in the garbage..."

"YES!" Bucky broke into a run, like a little kid going for his first ride. You were barely able to keep up as he pulled you along.

While you stood in line to wait for your turn on the ride, Bucky moved in close behind you, pressing against your back. He put his arms out on the rails on either side of you and leaned down, his warm breath in your hair. "Next time, just you 'n me, yeah?" Shocked and excited, you slowly nodded your head in agreement. Your body shuddered as he lightly kissed your neck just as the ride was ready to board.

Once you were buckled into your seats, you could see Steve get fidgety. You started to feel bad for him. His legs were bouncing and he was wringing his hands together. You were about to offer support as the ride jerked forward and took off.

~~~

"I think we should blow this up and frame it. There's room to hang it over here." Tony pointed to the back wall of the towers' bar. "It could be a reminder of when to cut people off."

Steve sighed, holding his head in his hands as his picture was handed around the team. "I warned you that was going to happen. No one ever listens to me." He lowered his hands, looking around the room for you; his expression was determined as he spotted his target. "Ah, yes. Miss photographer. I warned you." He stood and began his chase as you squealed and ran as fast as you could from the bar.

This was the best Friday night ever, and now these were the only friends that you would ever need.