XXXVII. An Expected Meeting

Theo had her picked up because he was getting late. The driver was silent on the drive home, giving her enough time to think.

She cooked dinner and waited for him to get back home.

"Where have you been? You look worse than last night," she said when he walked in.

"I've had a fucking long day, Des," he said, coming toward her and bringing her close against him. He buried his face in her neck and just stood there for a moment.

"Theo, what happened?"

"I'm so fucking tired," he murmured against her neck.

"Yeah, you already quite mentioned that but what happened?" she asked, pushing far enough to get a look at his face. She sniffed and crunched up her face. "Where have you been?"

"Went to kill my brother," he uttered.

"What?"

"Richard. Went to kill him."

She let out a dry chuckle. "What a very nice idea, but please, be serious."

He finally pulled away from her but kept his hands on her shoulders. He looked at her, his eyes really tired. "I'm serious. The old man gave me the order. He thought Richard was involved in Petroff's disappearance. And Vernier's death—and he quite got that right. And he talked about the tranquilizer gun, which he also got right and a freaking untraceable phone which might also be true." Desiree froze at the mention of the phone but kept her mouth shut. "And because he is crazy and he suddenly believes that one of his sons is planning something behind his back, he decided to bring him down. I was left with no choice. It was either I kill Richard or we both die."

Desiree gaped at him in disbelief. "You wouldn't do that."

He let out a long breath and nodded. "Of course. I had to make someone do it."

"What?!"

"So I called Kane."

"Kane?"

"And drove Richard to an isolated parking lot just outside the city."

Desiree shuddered away from him. "Don't fucking tell me you killed your brother, Theo, because I don't know what I'll do to you if you—"

"Then Kane shot him in the leg," he continued tiredly, turning around to walk to the couch where he dropped. "We recorded everything up to the time he dropped down on the ground."

She was already shaking as she stared at him in horror.

"And Kane started her work the moment I explained to my wailing brother what has to happen. That he has to die."

Desiree held her breath as she prepared herself.

"And then Kane did her magic and she took photos and the three of us drove to a dumpsite and had to pay the guys there a total of ten grand just to let us in and shoot a movie. Richard crawled into a body bag with his bloody leg. I threw the bag among all the garbage and turned off the camera on my dashboard. And then I had to get my brother out that stinking mountain again and drag him back to the car. Checked him into an inn, had to stitch his wound myself after pulling out the bullet, left him some money and drove back here."

Desiree finally let breathed in relief but that did not stop her from storming toward him and attack with her hands. "You fucking bastard! You almost got me there!" she cried out.

He just chuckled dryly, catching her hands. "He's gone, Des." She froze, looking down at him. "Richard is practically dead. He'll be out of the country tomorrow to God-knows-where and we won't see him again. He's practically dead."