Chapter Thirty-Two

I wasn't sure how I was able to follow Atreus as he led me to where Meilin was at. Atreus told Yat-sen that Meilin had ordered him to stay in his room, and that the Peccata were given strict orders to search for the enemy that was in the palace. While Atreus led me, I trembled at the thought of Meilin's condition and how severe his wound was. Atreus had told me that the man that had stabbed him had used a sword.

"He is very angry, Empress," Atreus said quietly when we neared a thick set of doors. He glanced over at me, his green eyes glowing with warning. "It is very difficult to stop his rage and it is impossible to force him to do anything he doesn't want to do."

"I don't care," I said, shaking my head. I swiped at the tears staining my face and sniffled. "I won't sit idly while my husband bleeds out because of his stubbornness."

He nodded and paused at the doors, motioning me towards it. "I will now head out in search for the man. Master is inside."

He left me at the same time that I pressed my hands against the door and shoved it open, the door creaking with the force. I didn't bother knocking and slipped inside the room.

"Meilin, you have to—"

"Enough! I told you I want that bastard dead. Find him for me."

Bohai and Meilin sharply turned towards me. They seemed to be in the middle of a heated argument. If I hadn't heard news that Meilin had been stabbed, I would've thought that everything was normal, but seeing their faces I could tell that something was off.

Bohai's face was wracked with anxiety and anger, while Meilin's was akin to fire, hot and angry and lashing out. Meilin was standing by a desk, his hands pressed firmly on the top of the desk and his eyes the color of danger. His face was paler than usual and his expression was contorted with a frenzy that burned.

I noticed that the front of his dark military tunic was stained with blood.

"Lady Daiyu—" Bohai started, his eyes pleading with mine.

"What is it?" Meilin snapped at me, not at all sounding like the gentle tone he had used last night. I flinched at his tone and he breathed in sharply, his lips pursed together. "Daiyu," he forced out, "I'm busy right now. Is there something you need?"

I stumbled forward, my eyes widening as I saw splatters of blood on the floor. "You're bleeding," I said. "I heard from Atreus—"

"Nothing for you to concern yourself with," he said harshly. He didn't bother looking at me as he stared at Bohai, his breath coming out unevenly. "Find him. I told you—"

"You need a healer!" Bohai burst out. "I can't watch you die from your stubbornness!"

"I told you to find him!" Meilin roared, making Bohai flinch back, his eyes wide.

I took in a shaky breath of air, my stomach churning and my fists bunching together. I exhaled deeply and closed my eyes, willing myself to calm down. When I had stopped trembling so much, I turned to Bohai, my voice as authoritative as possible. "Bohai, please leave."

He blinked back in surprise before his eyes narrowed.

"Call the healer but don't bring him inside," I said calmly.

"Daiyu," Meilin said in a warning tone.

"Go," I said to him.

Bohai left immediately, as if he was afraid Meilin would force him back.