Chapter 8

Fadil

The ball was in the air. I positioned myself under it ready to catch it as it descended to the ground. The ball landed with a thump in my hand. I smiled triumphantly and shouted.

"OUT"

My team mates crashed into me giving me a group hug. We had won by just 5 runs. I was ecstatic.

It was Sunday afternoon. I was playing Cricket with one of the Cricket Clubs in Dublin. I was part of the cricket club. I had never liked cricket as a child but had always watched Dad watch it especially whenever Pakistan was playing. He may have migrated to Ireland thirty years back but his heart still was in Pakistan. Perhaps, his passion for cricket had led me to join the cricket club when Salman had asked me a few years back. Since then I would play regularly. Now it had become more than mere sports to pass time but rather a passion as not only would I play but had started watching and guess what especially when Pakistan played. I guess I could never separate myself from my roots.

I was stuffing my sports gear in my duffel bag on the bench when Salman strolled near me. I was bending down and placing my things in the duffel bag. He back slapped me.

"Nice win bro." he praised me.

"Likewise."

"What's the story" he asked as he spurted water into his mouth from his water bottle.

"Good. The same actually." I shrugged as I continued to pack my things without bothering to look at him.

"Busy at work?" he further asked.

"You can't imagine mate. I had been there all week."

"So you didn't have time to think about anything, right?"

What was he getting at? "No, I didn't actually it was all about marketing campaigns running in my mind."

"Hmm ok. I guess you won't be interested in knowing about your damsel in distress then." My head jerked up. He had caught my attention. He saw my reaction and burst into laughter. I looked away trying to act calm and zipped my bag. I didn't want him to know the fact that I had thought of her throughout the week. Her eyes, her innocence and those hands. I don't know why I was fascinated by her hands.

I straightened and nonchalantly asked, "What were you going to tell me?"

He smirked, "Me? Was I really telling you something?"

Oh he wants to play dirty is it, "Fine don't." It was killing me to utter those words but I knew if I showed my curiosity it will encourage to further his teasing. I started walking away from him.

"Hey wait up" he jogged behind me. I ignored him and kept striding towards my car.

"Ok ok...I am telling you." I stopped at mid-stride and turned facing him, arching my eyebrow silently encouraging him.

"She is better. In fact, I heard Manal and Nawal talk and they all went to her place to cheer her up on Friday. They spent the afternoon with her."

Relief washed over me. She was fine and getting better, Alhumdulilah. I silently prayed. "Good. Thank you for letting me know." I tried to be courteous.

"Ya right you were dying to know about her." He challenged.

"Whatever mate. I better go now. I will see ya later. Nice game. Salaam" I shook his hand and continued my way to the car. I couldn't stay longer with Salman the desire to ask more about her was too much. I didn't want to ask him more questions. Not only will it embarrass me further but I would be disrespecting her by asking another guy about her. I unlocked the car with the remote key and loaded the car boot with the duffel bag. I settled myself on the car seat and thought of what Dad had said about Ramlah's father at the masjid.