12. Underneath The Mistletoe

Song for this chapter is 'Cold December Night' by Michael Buble. It's the perfect Christmas spirit song!

It was a crisp winter's day and Christmas was in the air. Christmas cheer filled the streets of Lexington and everyone was bursting with holiday joy, everyone except for Elijah Antonelli who was less than holly jolly.

As my friends and I performed our rendition of Walking In A Winter Wonderland, Eli stood by and watched, with an expression of disapproval. I couldn't help but think how cute he looked, with his slight pout. But his cuteness was contrasted by the way his biceps bulged as he folded his arms across his chest, sadly, his jumper didn't show off very much of his defined chest.

I turned the same shade of red as the bauble I was holding when he caught me checking him out, it was getting so difficult to hide my feelings from him, and everyone else for that matter. Silver and Vincent had their suspicions, but I had always viciously denied any attraction to him.

I quickly turned back to look at the tree, placing the bauble on the nearest branch to me, even though it made the branch flop.
"Is there something on my face, Liliana?" he crooned, I could hear the smirk in his voice, but I didn't dare to turn around and look at him.

"Other than that hideous scowl?" I replied curtly as I heard a few snickers.
"You could help you know" Sebastian exclaimed as he and Riley struggle to hang lights on the tree. "It's not my house" Eli simply shrugged, leaning back on the door frame.
"I don't think I've ever met such a scrooge" Silver said, shaking her head with disapproval.
"I don't know why you're surprised, he lacks enthusiasm in every other aspect of life" I pointed out, as though he were not in the room listening.

"Do you know what I love about Christmas? Mistletoe" Riley grinned, hovering some Mistletoe above Silver's head and pursing his lips.
"Not gonna happen, buddy" Silver said, scrunching her face in disgust. 

"Are you saying my brother isn't good enough for you Silver?" I joked.
"What? - No, I-" she began gushing as I snickered.
"Relax, I understand. I wouldn't wish that on anyone"
"You would be lucky to have me" Riley said sassily before storming off to look at tinsel.
"Urgh, I'm sick of tinsel now! Can we go and get some cocoa?" Vincent set, throwing the tinsel in a heap on the floor.

***

It was truly a beautiful festive scene with the Christmas market in full swing. Christmas songs belted out from the speakers and the decorations caressed our eyes as we wondered around slowly, taking in all of the sites.
"It's a real winter wonderland!" Blake exclaimed, his eyes brimming with wonder, before running off to look at the sweet stall, of course Riley ran after him since they were never apart, and soon enough Kai followed as well.

"I don't think I've ever been so filled of joy" Vincent chimed as his eyes darted around.
"You're always full of joy" Elijah complained, he looked so out of place in this place reminiscent of Santa's grotto. He was not a happy elf. As much as I was enjoying myself, I felt like something was missing. I gripped my heart-achingly delicious cocoa with both hands, but my left hand longed to entwined with Eli's.

I shook my head, trying to disperse such stupid thoughts. It was true, we spent about 75% of the time flirting, but that's all it was. Eli was a natural flirt, well, when he wasn't glaring at you as though you were the devil, that is. I knew nothing could ever, or would ever, evolve between us, as much as I was realising I wanted it too. With a sigh, I wandered off to look at a cookie stand. They were all so cute, shaped to fit the Christmas theme and decorated to catch the eye.

"Careful, if you eat too many of those you won't fit in your dress tonight" said a husky voice, appearing behind me.
"I'll fit just fine, thank you very much" I snapped at Eli who was stood far too close for my liking. I mean, I liked it, but I didn't want to like it. He shook his head and handed the stall owner two dollars before picking up two Santa cookies and handing me one.

"I don't know why I fuel your sugar addiction" he sighed, shaking his head.
"Because these puppy dog eyes are too much for you to handle" I said, smiling up at him with wide eyes before decapitating Santa with my teeth "Mmm, delicious. Thank you" I grinned at him as I swallowed down the sugary goodness.

"I'm gonna regret buying you that later" he shook his head with regret.
"You're coming to the winter ball?" I asked, surprised. I just assumed he was going to skip it. "I thought that organised events, that include dancing might I add, were not your cup of tea?" I narrowed my eyes at him.
"Like I'd miss the opportunity to see you in a dress" he scoffed before eating Santa's torso.

He abruptly stopped walking so that I bumped into him. He suddenly turned around to face me, grabbing my arms in the process. My heart began to race at his close proximity, I was so close to him I could see his hot breath hitting the cold air.

"For once in his life, Riley was right, Mistletoe really is the best thing about Christmas" I instantly looked up at his smooth words and saw that we in fact underneath the Mistletoe.
"Eli, you can't buy into some Christmas traditions and not others" I muttered half-heartedly, unable to fully concentrate as his spicy scent intoxicated me.
"Yes I can" he murmured, leaning into me.

I froze, just completely froze waiting for his lips. I was scared, this wasn't supposed to happen. My heart raced and my skin that had once been cold was now too hot. Elijah Antonelli was going to kiss me and I couldn't stop it, I didn't want to stop it.

As anticipation grew inside of me I held my breath, getting more and more nervous. Why was I so nervous? I had kissed people before and hadn't been nervous. But this was Eli, he was so different than the other guys I had encountered, he made me feel stronger feelings.

I was finally able to let out the breath I had been holding when I felt his lips on my cheek. He kissed me on my cheek! I was relieved and annoyed at the same time. I wasn't even worthy of a real kiss?! My heart sank, it had finally been confirmed. He didn't return my feelings and he never would. That little glimmer of hope that had a home in my heart, packed up and left. I tried to play it cool though, he couldn't know how broken that kiss had made me.

"Thank god! I thought you were actually going to kiss me then!" I exclaimed, holding my chest to steady my breathing.
"Oh please, every inch of your body wanted me to kiss you properly, I could tell" he smirked at me, not bothering to move away from me, so I took a step back to get some much needed distance between us.
"You're delusional, Eli" I chuckled light-heartedly, despite my sprinting heart.

I sauntered off to be with Silver, I needed her calming influence in that moment. When I reached her, staring at hand-decorated baubles, I put on a happy face, as though I wasn't absolutely gutted.
"I saw that" she stated, not looking away from the baubles.
"Shut up" I hissed, I knew this was a bad idea.

"You like him" she stated again.
"And again, shut up" I repeated.
"I will not. We must go home immediately, we need as much time possible to get you ready for tonight" I grabbed her roughly as her mind ran away from her, full of ideas and possibilities.

"Silver, Silv. Listen to me. No, no. We are not going to make a big deal out of this and we're most certainly not going to tell anyone absolutely anything about this. Do you understand? No talking to Vincent about this. Yes, I know that you gossip about us all the time" I tried to sound as demanding as possible.

"Okay, fine. I won't tell Vincent anything" I continued to stare at her, waiting for her to crack. "Fine!" she exclaimed, stamping her foot "I won't make a big deal out of this". I smiled in satisfaction, feeling secure that my secret was safe.
"But seriously, can we go now? Its gonna take me at least half an hour to get into my dress. Honestly, you're gonna have to wrap me like a present"

***

Hi readers! Hope you liked this chapter, I love Christmas, if you couldn't tell! I'm so excited for the next chapter and your support is what motivates me to write, so leave me some comments to smile at :)

Thanks!

JJ xo