Chapter Twenty-Two - Accept Me

It was unbelievable. After hours of walking, plowing through the snow, they finally stood outside of a giant wall with two large wooden doors. The elf village; Aide's home.

"The wall was built as a precaution," Aide told as he walked up to the doors. "Just in case."

He knocked twice, and then they all breathlessly waited. The gates then suddenly opened and the sight that met them blew them away.

An entire village of huts, big tents and even stone cabins, resided behind the walls that concealed them. The village was lively; Elven kids were running around, chasing each other with wooden swords, bows and arrows. Men were pushing around wagons, forging metal under the fire, logging around chopped wood. And the women were walking around with bowls of fruit, vegetables and even berries. Where they grew all of this in the deep snow was a mystery.

But that was the next surprise; The entire village was cleared of snow. It didn't even have snow on the roofs, or melting pools of snow anywhere. It was as if the village had been taken from a hot-spot and then placed in the middle of the Arranhade woods. It didn't make any sense.

The minute they stepped through the gates, the elven people of the village stopped what they were doing and turned to look at the new arrivals. And that's where the biggest surprise came; They were met with smiling faces.

"My Hero!" A young elven woman with beautiful golden curly hair, ran out from the crowd and bolted towards Aide.

Emaia's eyes fixed on Aide, who broke into a smile.

"Sunshine!"

The elven woman jumped into his arms and embraced him in what looked to be a bone-crushing hug.

"I've missed you so much, Mahbrah! We all have!" She chimed and buried her face in his long silver hair.

Aide tenderly hugged her back. "I've missed you too, Mahdrah."

Emaia couldn't help but feel a jealous pull in her stomach. Who was this woman? They looked to be close. They spoke partial elven to each other, but she knew they were saying a name of some sort. But what did it mean?

"Is this what ye' call a small village?" Hanke bickered and looked around the huts and tents. "It doesn't look small to me!"

Aide finally let go of the woman and looked at Hanke with a smile, "Well, okay, maybe it's a little larger than previously described. It's been years since I've been home, they have expanded since."

"Damn right we have," The woman grinned and punched Aide's shoulder, "We've expanded all the way up to the coast. The fishing business has really taken off."

"I'm glad to hear."

"Excuse us," Hanke spoke up again, "Don't mind us tired folks, ye' two lovebirds take ye' time, while we collapse from exhaustion!"

"This must be Hanke," The elven woman chuckled and looked towards him, "Aide described you as a bit constipa—"

Aide slapped a hand over her mouth, "You're right, Hanke, let's get you settled. This way, please."

Hanke gave Aide a narrow-eyed stare, but non the less followed him, as did the rest of the group.

"Are you as surprised as I am?" Dashel suddenly spoke from behind Emaia.

She quickly turned and found him standing besides her, "Uh, yeah, I can't believe we're here. It's... unbelievable."

"How come there's no snow in here?" Dashel questioned and frowned, "It's like the stone wall is blocking out the excruciating cold outside."