Chapter nine.

“Don’t stare at me like that.” Paige scoffed. “I knew I shouldn’t have told you anything.”

“No! It’s not like that. It’s just, well…” I scratched the back of my neck before continuing, “I’m their Mistress. They work for me.” My confession was in a low whisper, because I suddenly feel embarrassed that I have the school’s most, or maybe second most, popular girl’s family as my butlers.

Silence filled in and the three of us just sat there awkwardly. I had no idea what to say. Should I apologize for making her family work, or should I laugh at her? What now?

“Awkward…” Paige said, with eyes as round as saucers. She stared at me with mixed emotions showing atop her face. I half-smiled at her, my mind still asking questions on what I should do next.

“After all she’s been through…” Liam whispered into my ear, so low, I thought my mind was speaking to me and not him.

Something clicked in me and I knew I just had to get Paige meet her mother and sister again. For ten years, had she not seen them… I was not going to just sit and do nothing. I was going to unite her and her family.

“Is there something in my face? You’ve been staring for quite sometime, now. Uh, not to be rude or anything.” Paige brought forth after some long seconds.

“Oh, nothing. I was just lost in thoughts.” I got up and held my hand out to her, “Come on, we’re going.”

“Go where?”

“My place.” I turned to Liam who was brushing off dust from his jeans. “I need to change. If anyone sees me in this when I leave with both of you, we’ll definitely be questioned.”

Paige looked clueless and whispered a ‘huh?’ as Liam replied, “Sure. But you do know that you curled your hair, so anyone who has seen you before would probably recognize you.”

I rolled my eyes, “That’s why I brought my cap and glasses.” I smiled smugly.

“Whatever. You want me to wait or…?” Liam trailed off, as Paige looked at us even more clueless.

“You may go wait by the entrance, while I bring Paige with me. See you in ten, ok?” I did not wait for a reply from Liam. I quickly grabbed Paige’s hand and dragged her and started heading towards the bathroom.

“Ah, Emma?”

“Yes, Liam?” I stopped and turned around.

“You don’t have your clothes with you.”

“Right… Good point. Could you get them for me?” I gave my best puppy-look.

“Only if you give me a kiss.” He started towards me. I held out my hand to stop him, and he did.

“How about a knuckle-sandwich instead?” I clenched my fist. I heard Paige gasping, but ignored it. I would have to explain everything later.

Liam snickered, before running away. “Wait for me at the bathroom. I’ll come ASAP.” He called out.

Stupidly, I nodded and made my way, with Paige in toll. “Why are you changing? I really don’t get this.”

“I’ll tell you when we’re in the car. I don’t want anyone hearing me confessing a secret.”

“Ok. Just make you sure you do tell me. I told you, and I don’t want to regret it.” She folded her arms.

We reached a familiar corner and soon the bathroom door was in sight. All we had to do then was to wait for Liam to arrive with my Megan clothes. I fidgeted impatiently as Paige admired her neon pink nails. Eew.