Chapter 11.1: Retaliation

I acted every bit the obedient lady-in-waiting, if a despondent one, as Ella, Emily, and Rosanna prepared for the ball. I didn't miss the arch comments Emily kept tossing my way, hoping for another reaction, but I didn't dare retaliate until they had all safely left for the night. I had other things planned, something I reminded myself every time I was forced to bite my tongue while I helped them dress.

"It's for the best, really," Rosanna said, as I adjusted one of the pins in her hair while she pulled on a pair of satin evening gloves, "The other ladies are starting to talk about you,"

"I don't see how banning me from the ball will get them to stop," I snapped, unable to hold my tongue any longer after hours of listening to them prattle enthusiastically about the evening ahead.

"There are some terrible rumours going around about you sabotaging Ella," Rosanna said, turning to face me, a stern expression on her face reminiscent of Miss Halpern.

"I'm not sabotaging her, I'm helping her!" I fired back, crossing my arms, "The only reason she sat next to Andrew at the opera was because of me,"

"Be that as it may, you should stay away from him," Rosanna said, resting a placating hand on my shoulder. I fought the urge to shake her off in annoyance, twisting my mouth into a frown instead.

"Rosanna are you ready?" Ella called from the sitting room. Rosanna gathered her skirts and I shuffled my feet along the carpet as I followed her.

It was hard to see Ella in my dress. For one, it was too long on her thanks to our difference in height, so it had taken the seamstress the better part of an hour to pin and sew up the hem. But the worst part was that the deep emerald green brought out her eyes and her golden hair, flattering her complexion much more than it would have mine. I couldn't help the scowl on my face as I surveyed my pretty, perfect cousin as she twirled in my dress, a radiant smile lighting up her face.

"Doesn't Ella look resplendent?" Emily gushed, shooting me a devious little smile.

"Yes, she looks wonderful," I muttered, "If I may, I'll call down for dinner,"

"Yes, yes," Ella said dismissively, "Come ladies, let's go to a ball!"

They left the room in a flurry of titters and giggles, composing themselves as they joined the other debutantes and their ladies-in-waiting in the hallway on their way down to be announced.

"Shall I bring you up something to eat?" Ella's ladies maid asked quietly.

"Yes, I suppose that would be a good idea," I sighed, turning to her, "Which apprentice was it?"

"Beg pardon, miss?" the maid said, already halfway out the door.

"At the seamstress, which apprentice released the dresses to you?" I repeated. She flushed red.

"I didn't rip it, if that's why you're asking," she said, her chin wobbling as she looked on the edge of tears. I forced my face into a gentle smile.

"I'm only wondering because a friend is one of the seamstresses. She may have an idea of who did it," I said. The maid visibly relaxed.

"It was Evelyn, but I'm certain she didn't do it either," the maid said, "I'll go fetch you some dinner,"

"Thank you..." I said, pausing for her to insert her name. She flushed again, but this time not because she was upset.

"Louisa," she said, her voice barely above a squeak.

"Thank you Louisa. I'm sorry for the things the other girls said to you today," I said, dropping down onto the loveseat to stretch myself out. Louisa said nothing, her chin set to wobbling again as she ducked out the service door. I stared up at the ceiling, lazily unbraiding my hair and swinging my legs over the armrest. The grandfather clock chimed eight and my stomach grumbled, eager for dinner so I could get on with my plans for the evening.