Newt 14

Newt
The smell of Frypan's famous bacon filled the room and my nose. I rolled over to where a plate of bacon and eggs lay on the nightstand. I try to sit up, but groan instantly as my hangover kicks in. Stomach ache, head ache, dizziness, a dry, burning throat and a certain feeling running through my body that is both foreign and familiar.

As if on cue Jane strides in with a plate in hand, a turkey sandwich. A smile, brightening her face.
'Morning,' I say, ignoring the pain and attempt to push myself up.
'Afternoon,' she replies in a teasing a voice, she sets the plate next to the plate of bacon and eggs and leans over helping me sit up. 'I've already told Alby that you and Minho were sick today. He let you guys take a day off. Apparently whenever you and Minho gets sick, you're always sick on the same day,' she says, raising her left eyebrow.
I offer her a smile and reach over, grabbing both plates. I set the plates on my lap. Jane sits on the edge of the bed, fidgeting and looking uncomfortable. I grab the egg and bacon and carefully put them in between the slices of bread with the turkey, then I take a huge bite. The taste is unusual but not bad, maybe some sauce would make it better. I chew and chew before swallowing. She stares at me, wide eyed.
"Want some?" I had meant to say, but my mouth was still full, so it came out more like, 'Pon fum?'
She seemed to understand anyways and shook her head. It took me exactly six bites to eat the whole sandwich.

'So what did you do today?' I ask.
'Well, I've been everywhere a lot today. I've been helping Andrew and the other med-jacks. They've already let me start to bandage people up by myself, though really, it's not that hard. I've been in the glade, helping Minho, he's been staying in the sleeping bag for most of the day, dropping in and out of sleep. And I've been up here too. How are you feeling?' she says.
'Not bad,' I say, 'I've had worse.' She laughs at my reply as I start to get out of bed.
'What are you doing?' she demands.
'Getting out of bed?' I ask, is there something wrong with getting out of bed?
'You're sick. You need to stay in bed.'
'I'm fine,' I reply as I swing my legs out and stand up stretching my arms.
'Are you sure?' she sounds concerned.
'Yep,' I reply.
'Fine,' she sighs.

~~~

For the rest of the day, I work with the track-hoes since it was my job before I became a runner, and it was too late to go into the maze. By the time the runners were supposed to be back, my hands were coated in dirt and I had added a back ache to all my other aches. Working as a runner has definitely left me out of shape. I know most shanks think runners are the most fittest, but honestly, spending the day out in the sun, leaning over to pick weeds, and carrying gallons of water out to water plants was a lot harder. All you do as a runner is run.

After most runners were back, I went into the map room with them, most were already done mapping out the route they had taken today. Time for a head count. 1, 2, 3... 9...
'Hey! Where's Pete?' I shout. Immediately everyone stops and looks up at me. I fling open the iron door.
'The sun's starting to set he should have been back by now.' We all start running to the walls.
'Okay, everyone calm down. Which route did Pete take today? Who was with him last?' A small but fast brown haired boy's hand shot up. 'Okay, Ed, and... Jace, you guys come with me, we'll go in. If don't we return by the time the sun is half set, send in another 3. If guys, we can't find Pete by the time the sun is three quarters set, we get out, got it?' A chorus of yeses, filled my ears, there was a crowd gathered around us now. I turn to see Jane and Minho push through the crowd. Minho steps forward, joining us, while Jane stands a little further away from the rest of the crowd, but doesn't join us either. Our eyes lock, and I send her a silent message, not even knowing what exactly my message was. Her eyebrows furrow the way she does when in thought, and nods. I take a deep breath and one last look at the glade, my home. And then I enter the maze.