uno.

"I'm late! I'm late, Nicki! I told you to wake me up at five in the morning, goddammit."

Valerie shouted from inside the bathroom, her speech garbled from the vicious brushing of teeth she was conducting at the moment.

Nicki, who was sitting in the middle of their living room floor in one of her crazy chakra aligning yoga positions, just chimed her "tiny-little-monkey-cymbals" as Valerie called them and took a deep, cleansing breath.

"Now Val," She started in a condescending parental tone, "my sensei says that the body wakes when it feels ready. It's the new method of alignment we're trying. You asked me to wake you, that would have went against my sensei and my chakras wellbeing. Your chakra wellbeing, too."

Valerie was still fuming in the bathroom.

"Nicki I don't give two fucks about your sensei or my chakras or your chakras! If I don't get this job we're homeless!" She yells, exasperated.

What does this girl not get about being stranded in two twin boxes under a viaduct if the landlord doesn't get her money?!

Valerie grouches in her head.

She pulls herself together though. Throwing on a black button down, black slacks, and black ballet flats she thought herself appropriate for an interview.

Valerie then proceeded to rake through her hair with her brush. Trying to get her curly mess of black hair to at least give way into a kind of tamed, wavy frizz.

She failed.

Grumbling a string of less than savory things about having such kinky hair, Valerie reached under the sink and slammed a tub of Eco Styler gel onto the bathroom sink. Popping open the jar, she grabbed a gob of the shiny clear product and smoothed it into her hair.

Then she locked in a slick puffy ponytail by brushing her tamed frizziness down until she could coil a hair tie around it.

Slamming her brush rather angrily onto the counter Valerie decided to put some light lip gloss on her lips and dust her mascara onto her eyelashes to soothe the ache at her temples somehow. She always managed to make her ponytails a tad too tight.

Walking into her bedroom, she threw her phone, some pens, and her wallet into her purse. Valerie then made her way to the door, saying bye to Nicki before closing the rickety thing.

***
Valerie loathed the city.

This was where her job was. In the hustle and bustle of New York, New York.

First off, this city smelled horrible.

Valerie noted this once her train slid its doors open and she caught a wiff of some stank smelling garbage.

Oh fuck, it smells like feet and dead dreams.

But, she shrugged it off and began to maneuver her way through thousands, maybe millions of people on the sidewalk. It seemed the nature of the city just seemed to go against her own. New York was a city where you sank or swam. The way she had to elbow and shimmy through the crowd of people all going the same way as her proved this doubly.

Not to mention, Valerie was still dog tired. Her interview started at seven and it was six thirty now, but all her plans shifted when she spied a Starbucks.

Angels started singing and Taylor Swift's Twenty-Two started blasting in her head as she very hastily shunted people out of her way to make it to the doors of the coffee place.

Valerie didn't even drink coffee!

She needed a pick-me-up though. Maybe standing in the mile long line would be worth it.