Chapter Nine

A/N: Okay, so I wasn't planning to upload quite yet, but I couldn't resist! So, here's chapter nine!  Hope you enjoy! Comment and Vote:)

*******************

            Alex pulls up to my house fifteen minutes late, but I don't mind.  I'm still running around the house, adding last minute touches to my outfit, when he gets here.  It's not that I' always concerned with my appearance, or anything.  I mean, usually, I just throw my hair in a pony and call it good.  But this is my first-ever date, and I'm determined to make it a good one. 

            I've gone through all the steps: picking out my cutest clothes, applying some makeup, shaving my legs, and even curling my hair.  Even though I'm still annoyed at Cassi for revealing my darkest secret to the team, I let her help me get ready.  She was simply too thrilled for me to say no.  Plus, she has way more experience with looking cute than I do.  We agree on a dark green sundress that cuts off at the knee and a pair of tawny sandals.  While I shave my legs, Cassi picks out some jewelry.  For the most part, everything is simple, but Cassi promises the pieces add to my outfit.  And, because I'm practically useless with anything but basic hair and makeup, Cassi does it for me.

            "You look beautiful," says Cassi as I finally start toward the door.

            To be honest, I feel kind of strange-looking.  I barely recognized myself under the makeup and I'm not used to my new coiled hairstyle.  The curls keep bouncing in front of my face and catching on my exaggerated eyelashes.  I seriously hope I don't look as ridiculous as I feel.  I trust Cassi though, at least regarding things like this, so I figure I look better than I normally do.

            "Um hi," says Alex as I swing the door open.

            He's wearing cargo shorts and a black T-shirt, which is a few sizes too big and makes him look skinnier than he usually does.  But he still looks cute, even with that silly, boyish grin on his face.

            "Hey," I say, shifting awkwardly from foot to foot. 

            "You ready to go?" he asks. 

            I quickly nod my head and glance back toward Cassi, who's standing less than a yard from me.  She gives me a not-so-subtle thumbs up and waves at Alex.  I practically dive out of the door before she can embarrass me any further.

Alex and I don't talk as we walk to his car, which he parked at the end of our long driveway.  I don't really blame him—our driveway can kind of be a deathtrap unless you're very capable at backing out.  Regardless, I wish he were parked closer so that we didn't have to walk in awkward silence for so long. 

There isn't much to do while we walk, aside from analyze Alex.  His clothes are just regular guy clothes, but he's wearing a boat load of cologne, so much that I'm sure Cassi can still smell him back at the house.  His car turns out to be even worse, as though he dumped his entire bottle of Axe all over the back seat.  I have to resist the urge of gagging.

"You like pasta?" asks Alex once we start to drive.

"It's my favorite," I say with a smile.  Then, when it starts to fall quiet, I start rambling.  "I also like pizza and French fries and rice."

"Oh cool," says Alex, though it's fairly obvious that he does not find any of that 'cool'.

            I chew on my lower lip and stare out the window, watching as we slowly pull out of my subdivision and into the busier side of town.  Alex doesn't say much, but I figure it's because he's too focused on the road.  By the way he drives, I'd guess he's a new driver.  Every time we come to red light, he slams on the breaks and my head almost smacks against the dashboard.  I can't help but grind my fingers against my seat and hold my breath, praying that he doesn't kill me.