Chapter 28

Charlie put one arm around Kennedy's waist while the other went to the back of her head. Her body responded instantly and by instinct, she put her arms around him, as well. Charlie touched his lower lip to hers, then turned his head back and forth a fraction, caressing her lip with his own. Kennedy soaked up his touch, sitting very still and letting the moment unfold slowly, tenderly.

Charlie drew her lip between his own, sucking gently, flicking it with the tip of his tongue. Her lips plumped with desire, becoming doubly sensitive. She deepened the kiss, opening to him, gently asking him with teeth and tongue to open to her.

Kennedy was so grateful to have Charlie in her arms again. She tried not to think about how close she'd come to losing him. He was water to her earth, the sparkle to her stability. Sure, they were very different people, and there would always be one challenge or another to overcome as they moved forward together, but Kennedy knew they'd work it out, as long as they kept talking and kept loving.

She was itching to get to the 'loving' part. It hadn't been that long since she'd last been with him but given all that had happened recently, it felt like an eternity. She climbed into his lap, knees on either side of his thighs. Charlie leaned back against the couch and she pressed her chest to his. She arched her back, rocking her hips against the hard bulge beneath her, telling him with her body how much she wanted him. Charlie let out a low sound of desire. He ran both hands down her back, below her waist, and cupped her cheeks, pulling her even closer to him.

Keeping his mouth pressed against hers, kissing her for all he was worth, Charlie leaned forward, then stood, scooping Kennedy into his arms. She wrapped her legs around his waist and held on. Charlie carried her to the bedroom and set her down on the bed, then lay on top of her. Kennedy moved her legs apart, making room for Charlie to lie between them. He ran a hand under her shirt, leaving goosebumps in his wake as he worked his way up to her breast, teasing and touching her nipple through her bra.

"Sit up. You're wearing too many clothes," he said.

Kennedy complied and Charlie pulled off her shirt. He swung his arm out as though to toss it on the floor, then gave her shirt a shake, folded it and lay it on his nightstand.

Kennedy was touched by the gesture. Here they were in the midst of a passionate encounter that, as soon as possible, would lead to make-up sex, and he was folding her clothes for her.

"I should start leaving a change of clothes here. Then I wouldn't care so much what happened to the ones I take off," she said.

Charlie gave her a hundred-watt roguish grin. "That is a great idea for a long list of reasons."

Charlie made quick work of the rest of Kennedy's clothes, as well as his own. He snatched a condom from a drawer and rolled it on. Charlie then jumped into the air, sailed straight over Kennedy, and landed next to her, shoulder-first, with a squeak of mattress springs.

"Hello, my beautiful, bare lady," he said, his eat-you-up grin sending Kennedy into a near-frenzy of anticipation. "How are you on this fine day?"

"Wishing you'd hurry the hell up. I'm about to spontaneously combust over here."

Charlie's gaze slid across as much of Kennedy as he could see. The rest was covered only by him. "Your wish, my command."

He put his hand on her belly, then slid it down until it was between her legs. She pushed her hips up into his hand, aching for more. His fingers teased between her folds, making her gasp with pleasure.

"Wow, you weren't kidding," he murmured after slipping a finger into her wetness.

She spread her legs and arched her back, encouraging him deeper. He obliged for only a moment, then withdrew. Kennedy whimpered at her sudden emptiness. He didn't leave her suffering for long, though, and climbed on top of her. She was so wet that he slid home in one long stroke. Kennedy cried out in pleasure and relief. She bent her legs at the knee and crossed her ankles over Charlie's backside, which clenched and softened with each thrust within her.