Brass Goggles

God, can this day get any more boring? I thought to myself. Today, for work, I was assigned to write an article for the Daily Wayword which was the newspaper in the town I lived in. See, I was a detective. I  sneaked around town, eavesdropping in on peoples conversations and writing everything down in my very worn out journal. It could get very monotonous day b day doing the same thing. Loitering. Listening. Writing. Publishing. 

"Detective Columbus?" I heard what could only be Maxwell's (my accomplice) voice and saw him open up my office door. He stood in the doorway with a worried and exhausted look on his face. Maxwell was the only other person that bothered me during the day. Everyone else in the building kept to themselves, dong what I do everyday: keeping to myself and only coming out of my office to go to the bathroom. 

"Yes?" I answered and raised an eyebrow as Maxwell swiped the sweat off his face with his leather glove. 

"You should really come and look at this," he said. I didn't question what I was about to see; all I did was put down my pencil and notebook, stood up, and followed Maxwell out of the door. 

I followed him down the hallway where every other office is located. All doors were closed, as usual. Maxwell led me to a room that I had never been into before, and I'v been working in this joint for seven years. 

"Look what I found," Maxwell said softly and pointed down at an open drawer in an empty desk in the strangely empty room. Inside was a manila folder, tied shut with some leather string, with big red letter on it that said Confidential

Maxwell and I exchanged glances before I snatched the folder from the drawer. It was slightly worn down on the sides and had a small rip in the left top corner. I didn't know whether or not I should have opened it. I mean, what was inside could be great for an article in the paper I could write. 

"But sir!" Maxwell sounded surprised and went to take the folder out from my hands. "Should we really open this?" 

"Of course, Maxwell!" I said and laughed a bit. 

I put the folder down on the desk and just stared at it for a second, then reached to untie the knot that was keeping it closed.