12. The Elder Wand's New Owner

He was standing at the end of the long, dimly lit chamber. Towering stone pillars entwined with more serpents, rose to a ceiling lost in darkness, casting long, black shadows through the odd, greenish gloom that filled the place. He took long strides, stopping in front of the massive Salazar Slytherin's statue. Tom had left the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets on the Girl's Lavatory opened, knowing Grindelwald was following him. And he waited, his back facing his opponent, but wand never leaving his hand. There was a sudden splashing noise, as if someone had stepped on a small puddle of water.

"Took you long enough," Said Tom with a satisfied smirk. He turned fully, dark eyes narrowing at the Wizard before him. Grindelwald did not say anything, instead, threw the young Wizard a snide grin.

"I believe you have something that I require."

"And what is that?" Tom said in his soft snake's hiss. Grindelwald began to pace, his bony fingers studying every inch of the serpents' statue as he neared Tom.

"You show spirit and bravery. I have no doubt you'd be a very valuable asset in my army, Riddle." Grindelwald removed an emerald jewel from the snake's eyes, placing it on his robes' pocket. "Just give me the ring and I'll let you join."

Tom Riddle laughed, a high pitched laugh that didn't suit him. "I have told you before Grindelwald, have I not? I am no side Wizard, a filthy follower... I am the leader."

"The leader?"

"Of my own army."

Grindelwald looked around with a mocking grin plastered on his pale lips, turning back to face the younger wizard

Grindelwald looked around with a mocking grin plastered on his pale lips, turning back to face the younger wizard. "What army?"

"I don't require their help," Tom said loudly, and in the total silence his voice carried like a trumpet call, echoing around the chamber. "It's going to be you and me."

Grindelwald hissed.

"You're a fool, Riddle" he said, his bright blue eyes wide. "And you shall die, tonight."

A bright jet flash of green light shot toward Tom's chest, and had he not been an amazing dueler, he would've been hit without as much as breathing. He gave him a triumphant smirk, twirling his ring in his finger. "This ring belongs to me and to me only."

Grindelwald snarled, sending another jet of green light his way; but Tom effortlessly blocked his spell. Sweat was pouring down the Bulgarian's forehead but it didn't faze him; he continued shooting spell after spell, twirling his wand expertly as he took steps forward, but Tom shielded himself from them all.

"You should've known Grindelwald, what you'd be dealing with," Tom took the ring off his finger, examining it with adoration and a proud glint in his eyes. Grindelwald was breathing heavily as he watched cautiously. "This ring is very precious to me, not only because it is part of your desired Deathly Hallows –" Grindelwald's scowl aggravated, he was livid. Tom merely smirked. "But because part of my soul resides within this object."