The Raven Girl- chapter 45

The guards threw me in the tower which I had once climbed at the dragon’s instructions. I was taken and locked in the room where I had on that same occasion fell out of the window and was consequently saved by Dante. At this height the wind howled around the tower rattling the windows. There was no fire or furniture, only a coarse woollen blanket that my guards had given me out of pity. Dante had tried to brand me but all had eclipsed by what he had said about the dragon. He never revealed what was going to happen, only that I could view it from my window at dawn. A sickness in the pit of my stomach grew as I watched the stars melt away into the pinkie red haze of the dawn. Pressing my palms against the cold glass of the window pane I saw the goblins lead my dragon across the castle grounds. It didn’t quite feel like dawn yet, the sun remained hidden behind a thick blanket of cloud. The dragon half ambled and half limped up a small mound where a large goblin holding an enormous broadsword stood waiting for the dragon. For the first time in the dull light I beheld the dragon in all its entirety. Before in the dark gloom of the aviary I had only caught glimpses of the dragon but now I could see all of her. light I could see the deep scars on her legs where the manacles had twisted and chaffed over the years. She was blind in her right eye and teeth were missing. She was a helpless creature that had been left blind and lame by her captors- my husband.

I couldn’t hold back the thick heavy sobs as I saw the goblins spitefully hitting the dragon with the flat side of their swords. The dragon stumbled and fell into the snow. The goblins laughed and taunted the poor animal. I cried out for them to stop but the words got lost in the howling of the wind. It was horrible, knowing what was about to happen and knowing there was nothing to do to stop it. I cried and screamed out but I was so high up. I wanted to stop it but I couldn’t. Crying uncontrollable I hit the glass window pane with hands begging for the dragons life- I knew it was pointless, I knew no one would hear me and if they did they would still ignore me. The glass cracked and I felt warm liquid oozing down my hand. I knew the glass had cut my own hand but I didn’t care. The goblins crowded around the dragon and the executioner approached. The wind suddenly died down and the dragon looked up- in fact she was looking in my direction.

“Please don’t leave me.” I whispered.

The dragon eyes softened and she bowed her head as if she was smiling pleasantly at me. The sword swung down and there was a quiet sigh of pain from the dragon. The goblin furore stilled and they stood back. The dragon exhaled and did not take another breath. Suddenly the sun broke through the clouds pouring bright pure sunshine over the forest. A flock of birds spiralled upwards into the sky and then all fell silent. No birdsong, no gentle rustling of branches and leaves, even the wind fell silent. It was an unnatural pure silence that made me think the forest and all who dwelled within her had felt the dragon’s passing and had stilled for a brief moment acknowledge the death of one of the oldest dragons.

The snow around where she laid turned bright crimson. Blood and snow. The spilling of blood upon the fresh virgin snow was always considered an unlucky omen. Even in the mortal world there was dark connotations connected with the colour of red upon white. The infamous story of Snow White involved the heroine’s mother accidentally spilling her own blood upon fresh snow. The red against all that white felt evil and unsettling. I edged away from the window and wondered why I felt so uneasy about an old folk tale.

Wrapping myself in the blanked I held my injured hand against me. I cried and cried.