two

A/N: woooo new update!!! I had fun writing this haha Luke (& his mind) is great 😂 hope you guys enjoy it!!!

- A

It was snowing when Luke and the mystery girl stepped outside the airport.

Specks of the translucent substance fell everywhere in large clumps, causing Luke to shiver. It wasn't the coldest weather he'd ever experienced, but it was enough to send shivers down his spine and for his pulse to quicken.

Or maybe the sudden burst of excited-yet-nervous energy was due to the fact that he had the prettiest girl he'd ever seen wrapped around his fingers.

Literally.

Her palm held onto his like he was the only thing she had left, fingers intertwined to keep warm. It certainly did the trick--it made sure neither of them got lost, and also made Luke feel very tingly.

While Luke was in this trance, marveling at the world around him, the girl paid no mind to the chilly atmosphere and continued onward, walking at a pace so quickly even Luke, long legs and all, struggled to keep up with.

Tugging on his arm, she pulled him to the edge of the curb, in which Luke nearly lost his balance and would've face-planted right into the street if not for her hand securely fastened around his arm.

"Sorry about that." She gave him a small apologetic smile, and Luke considered telling her that she did nothing wrong, but she had already moved on, waving one hand up in the air. "Taxi!"

And surely enough, as busy as the airport was, it didn't take long for a yellow taxicab to come skidding to a halt in front of the two of them.

Luke watched in amazement as the girl beamed, jumping down to the curb and opening one of the side doors.

"You first?" She offered sweetly, a soft smile upon her face. Luke almost declined on the premise that it was proper manners that she go first, but instead he just watched as the driver heaved his humongous suitcase into the car and gestured him to get in rather rudely.

And Luke did, not having to be told thrice.

Welcome to New York City, Luke Hemmings.

The girl slid in after him, closing the door with a gentle thud. The height difference wasn't really an issue now that they were sitting close together in the backseat. She smiled brightly at the cab driver (who smiled back, a very rare occasion), gave him some address Luke wasn't familiar with, and sat back as the car began to move.

Luke silently admired her; the way she could make such a huge impact with just a positive attitude. After all, the cab driver smiled back.

If you've ever been in New York City traffic, you'd know they rarely smiled.

"So, Luke, what brings you to New York City?" She then turned her attention to Luke, a twinkle in her blue eyes.

Luke gathered that this girl never really stopped smiling; it was just part of who she was.

And he secretly loved it. He hadn't truly smiled for the longest time, and it was refreshing to see someone else genuinely smile.

Especially at him.

But smiles can be deceiving; Luke knew this better than anyone. He couldn't trust anyone, not even pretty girls with large blue eyes who smiled like she had nothing to hide. He just couldn't allow himself be vulnerable, again.