5: escape and odd happenings

The car ride to the zoo was spent in uncomfortable silence. Dudley had brought one of his friends along; Percy and Harry were forced to endure merciless teasing from the two. Percy swore that Dudley farted every now and then just to make it even more unpleasant for the two black-haired boys.

Once they had reached the zoo and everyone had climbed out of the car, Uncle Vernon pulled Percy and Harry aside, Aunt Petunia, Dudley, and his friend going on ahead. "Now," Uncle Vernon said, his mustache quivering, "I expect both of you to stay behind us, not speaking to us and not interacting with us in any way." They nodded obediently. Percy secretly rolled his eyes. They received that speech every single time they went out somewhere. It had gotten old, fast. Uncle Vernon continued, "No funny business. Any at all, and you'll be stuck in that room of yours for a week." He then went off to join the others.

Percy sighed and started walking after them, Harry next to him. "Well. That went better than normal."

Harry nodded his head in agreement. "Yeah, it did. Hey, who do think those letters were from?" Now that they were alone, they could talk freely about the letters that seemed to horrify the Dursleys so much.

Percy shrugged. "Dunno. Maybe they'll send more."

"I doubt it."

"You never know. Since they won't get a response, they might think that we didn't get them - which we technically didn't - and send more, making sure that we do get them. Or they could just send a ton so we can sneak a couple away and read them where your uncle can't get at them..." Percy trailed off, deep in thought.

Harry just rolled his eyes and laughed at his adopted brother's speculations. "Whatever you say, Percy."

"Hey, you never know! It could happen!"

The two boys continued talking and following the Dursleys and their friend around for the next hour or so. They eventually came upon the reptile house of the zoo. There were reptiles everywhere! Glass windows went from the ceiling to floor, keeping the many snakes, lizards, and other cold-blooded creatures in their respective habitats. Percy and Harry hung back, waiting for the Dursleys and their guest to move on so they could look at the animals.

From where he was standing with Harry by the entrance to the building, Percy could both see and hear Dudley complaining to his father about the Boa Constrictor they were currently bothering. "Make him move!" Dudley whined. Uncle Vernon rapped sharply against the glass. Apparently, the snake couldn't be bothered to do anything in response.

"Do it again!" This time it was Dudley's friend that made the demand. Percy had never bothered to learn his name. Again, Uncle Vernon rapped his knuckles against the glass. And once more, the snake moved not one millimeter.

Dudley heaved a great big sigh of disappointment. "It's so boring." He then waddled off to bother some other poor creature, his friend and parents following behind. Percy dragged Harry over to the Boa Constrictor.

"Come on, I want to see him!" he said excitedly.

"Hold on! Sometimes you confuse me with how much energy you have," Harry grumbled. Percy pretended to have not heard him. They reached the Boa Constrictor habitat, and Percy pressed his face up against the glass, squishing his nose and fogging it up with his breath. Harry pulled him away. "Don't do that. How would you feel if you were in a glass cage and people were looking at you like that?"

Percy huffed, then looked at the snake. "Sorry, Mister Snake." Percy could have sworn that the snake nodded, if only a little bit.

The two boys leaned against the railing in front of the glass and looked at the seemingly asleep Boa. "It must get lonely, sitting in a glass cage with no one to talk to," Harry said. To Percy's astonishment, the giant reptile lifted and cocked its head, looking at Harry curiously. Harry continued. "It does get lonely, doesn't it?" To Percy's amazement, the snake nodded.

Percy then chose to speak. "You can understand him?" The snake looked at Percy, whose eyes were wide with wonder. It nodded again. "You can understand me?!" The snake nodded once more. "Wow..."

Harry snickered at him before turning back to the snake. There was a plaque with information about the species of Boa and about that particular snake over to the side. It said it originated from Brazil. "You came from Brazil? Was it nice there?" The snake gestured to the plague with its head, and Percy read it closer.

He nudged Harry in the ribs with his elbow. "It says he was born in captivity, idiot."

Harry winced, rubbing his side. "Sorry."

The snake gestured at the plaque again, and Percy saw why. "Oh! You're a girl!" The snake, now identified as female, seemed to laugh. "Do you want to go to Brazil?" Percy asked. The snake looked amused, if that was even possible, and nodded. "I wish I could go to Brazil; it sounds nice there."

Harry nodded with a wistful expression. "Yeah. That would be cool."

They suddenly heard a loud shout behind them. "Mum! Dad! Come look at what it's doing!" The two were shoved aside by Dudley and his friend who now had their faces pressed up against the glass, looking at the snake. "It moved!" Dudley shouted.

Percy noticed an enraged expression on Harry's face, and his eyes widened. Whenever they were feeling some emotion particularly intensely, strange things tended to happen. Like when they were running from a couple of bullies after school in third grade. Harry was somehow magically transported to the roof of the building, while Percy was forced to hide behind a few trashcans. Another time, Percy had gotten so mad at his teacher for slapping students' hands with a ruler that her hair had turned a bright, bubblegum pink. It was most likely permanent.

Percy saw Harry's eyes narrow, and there was a loud SPLASH as Dudley and his friend both fell into the small pool inside the Boa Constrictor exhibit. They screamed as the humongous snake slithered over them and the small barrier in front of where the glass used to be. As she dropped down from the barrier and made her way out into the open world, Percy could have sworn that she winked and hissed Brazil, here I come.

Once the snake had gone and people had calmed down a bit, Percy said, "Well. That was interesting." Harry only nodded his head in agreement.

****

I feel accomplished! It only took about a week to actually get around to finish writing the chapter. It's a bit short, but I've been really busy lately, so this is all I can manage right now.

As per usual, comment any mistakes grammar and spelling-wise I may have made.

COMMENT + VOTE + FOLLOW ME FOR MORE