Prologue

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.
-C.S. Lewis

The Malfoy Manor
Wiltshire, England
August 9 1987

"Jace, Luca says you have to show me." She pouted, her big silver eyes watering a bit.

"But Ari..." He groaned. He never had been able to deny her anything when she looked like that.

"I thought you liked flying." She argued. "Why can't you show me how to fly?"

"Because you're too young." Draco piped up. "What if you fall." He didn't show it often but he was actually very worried about his cousin.

"It's only because I'm a girl, isn't it? You and Jace already flew when you were six and I'm seven." She stomped her foot on the ground childlessly.

"Just let her fly, Jace. We'll be right there when something happens." Luca sighed, holding Artemis's hand.

Little Selena, who was holding her big sister's other hand, was crying. "I want to fly too."

"Not a chance." The three boys said in sync. "You're really too young." Eight-year-old Jace said sternly.

"But Jacey..." Artemis's cried. "We want to fly together." She pouted. "Please, Jacey!" Artemis pouted as she flung her arms around Jace's neck and cried in his shoulder. "You can't leave me with the Malfoys, Jacey. They are mean to me and auntie Walburga smells."

"It's just for a few days, you little dramaqueen. They are going to take care of you."

"But why am I the only one that has to stay here?"

"Because you don't have to werewolf gene, Ari." Jace explained softly. "It's dangerous for you to be with your father on a full moon. You know that."

"But Jace, you promised to protect me." She sniffed.

"Mia..." Draco breathed as he kneeled down as well. "We will always protect you."

"You promise?"

"We promise." Jace and Draco said.

The Lupin residence
Unknown, England
January 12 1990

"Mum! Another letter from the Malfoys." Selena called as she fed the delivery owl a treat. Jasmine Lupin entered the kitchen and opened the letter. "He did what!" She exclaimed as she read it through. "That bloodtraiter scum!"

Selena and Artemis shared a look. "What happened?" Selena asked.

"Arthur Weasley happened." Jace said, reading over his mother's shoulder. "Something about a Muggle law he's enforcing."

Jasmine had already disappeared out the door to visit the Malfoy Manor.
Selena just shook her head and pulled Artemis out the back door.

"Diddiekins, we need to get your suit fitted, after that I'll buy you that toy car." A rather bony woman with a horselike face said to her incredibly fat son. The boy continued to argue with his mother, refusing to take another step.

"Muggles." Selena rolled her eyes. "And I thought wizards didn't know how to wear Muggle clothes. Look at that boy, his clothes are at least three sizes too big for him." She pointed at a skinny boy that was timidly walking behind the arguing mother and son. He must be around the same age as Artemis. He had jet-black, messy hair and his eyes were hidden behind a pair of round glasses.

The woman and her son disappeared inside a shop and the black-haired boy was left alone on the streets. He went to sit on the curb, waiting for them to come out again. He hadn't noticed the two girls watching him yet.