eighteen

"Someone's having a good day," Luke remarked when he walked into the kitchen while I was making dinner, singing along to the stereo playing Ed Sheeran.

"It's been alright," I said, flipping over the chicken I was frying in the pan. "I had a really good weekend."

"We never talked about what happened on Saturday with you and Ashton," he said, standing over me. He was so tall he thought he intimidated me but I saw right through him.

"I had a good time," I said. "Do I need to say anything else?"

"What did you guys do?" He leaned over the counter and watched as I seasoned the other side of the chicken.

"I already told you, we went ice skating," I said. "After we went ice skating we got some hot chocolate from Starbucks and we came back home."

"So what made you realize that you 'really really like him' then?" He continued to interrogate me.

"I don't know, I just realized it? Between stressing over what to wear because I didn't know what he'd think of it, and seeing how dreamy his eyes looked, and after the kiss, and--"

"He finally kissed you?!" Luke got excited, standing up straight again and getting in my face.

"Yes he did," I said, pushing him away from me while I stirred the chicken around a little more.

"How was it?" Luke rested his chin in his hand, obviously waiting for juicy details.

"It was fine," I said. "It was a kiss. What else am I supposed to say?"

"Was it steamy? Was there any tongue? Did he feel you up?"

"God, Luke, you have no chill," I said. "It was our first kiss, we're not going to get 'steamy' on the first kiss.

"Okay fine but I guess now I'm gonna be getting any brownies," he sighed.

I raised an eyebrow at him, waiting for an explanation.

"Because now you're going to be spending money buying condoms and not brownies," he said as if it were obvious.

"You're gross," I rolled my eyes. "And if and when we do, I'm not going to pay for them."

"Why not?" He asked.

"Because I have to pay for shitty things that I don't even want to have to use, like tampons and shit."

"Okay, you've got a point there," Luke said, flipping open a magazine sitting on the table.

I heard my phone ringing on the counter next to me as I turned the burner off for the chicken, and my heart leaped when I saw Ashton's name on the screen. I answered it and held the phone between my ear and my shoulder as I began taking the vegetables that had been boiling and scooping them onto plates for Luke and I.

"Hey Ashton," I said into the phone right away, and Luke's head shot up. Nosy as always.

"Taylor Parks," he said back. "How are you on this fine evening?"

"Why, I'm doing quite well, how about yourself?" Luke rolled his eyes and looked back down at his magazine.

"Well I'm doing alright, though I'll be doing better when I have an answer to a question I have specifically for you," he said back.

"And what is this question?" I asked.

"Well I was just calling to ask and make sure you are still planning on meeting at our usual place in Starbucks tomorrow night," Ashton explained.

"Yes, I plan on it," I said.

"No meetings or anything?"

"Nope. I should be heading over there and get there right around 5."