Chapter Twenty-Nine: Heat (EDITED)

Ariel's POV

I woke up with a dull pain growing in my lower stomach. I slowly opened my eyes to see the sunlight pouring into our room, creating rainbows as it shone through the glass. I felt Shane's chest rise and fall underneath my hands and a smile came over my lips once I looked at him. He was so peaceful. So calm. So beautiful.

I carefully climbed off him, not wanting to disturb him and just when I was about to climb off, two large hands grabbed me and placed me back on him, causing the pain to subside. "Why are you leaving?" he asked, eyes still closed.

"I was going to get some medicine," I explained as I tried to shimmy out of his grasp, but that only made his grip tighter.

"Ariel, I could smell your Heat from a mile away and I know if I can, any other male can too. You are not going anywhere without me by your side." I sighed with a nod as Shane sat up and positioned me in his arms before he stood up and carried me bridal style to the kitchen. He carried me to where the medicine cabinet was and pulled out the medicine and got me a glass of water before he gave it to me and I quickly downed the horrid pill. "That stuff is horrible, I don't understand how humans do it all the time," I said, the taste still lingering in my mouth and Shane laughed before he led me back upstairs and into the bathroom.

"What are we doing in here?" I asked as he sat me down on the edge of the tub before he took a seat next to me.

"You are taking a shower and I'm going to sit right here," he said and a blush immediately took place on my cheeks.

"Shane I really don't think it's necessary for you to sit right there," I said.

"Ariel, you're going into heat and I won't leave your side until it's over. Plus," he said as he snaked his arms around my waist and pulled me into his chest. "I just got you back and I don't want to lose you again." he said with his voice getting soft at the end.

I bit my lip, deciding whether or not to let him do this until I caved in and nodded before I stood up, causing a small whimper to escape from his lips as his grip on me broke. "Okay," I said. "But you stay right there until I say otherwise, understand?" I said.

"Yes ma'am," he said with a smirk, causing me to roll my eyes before I walked over to the shower and turned on the cold water. I turned to Shane and said "Turn around.'

He chuckled before shaking his head. "Little One, there is no need to hide your body from me. I've seen you bare plenty of times and this is no different," I sighed in defeat knowing that he was right, before I turned so that I wasn't facing him and slid my clothes off and suddenly, he was behind me causing a gasp to escape my lips.

"You're gorgeous, Little One," he said as he caressed my cheek with the pad of his thumb, making some of the pain go away.

"No I'm not," I said shaking my head as I looked anywhere but his eyes.

"Yes you are," he insisted, his voice a bit more rough as he tilted my head up so I was looking at him. "You are beautiful. Don't ever let anyone make you think or feel any different. Not even yourself." he said, causing my heart to leap at his words. I nodded, still mute at his words. He grinned as he placed a delicate kiss on my lips, sending sparks through my body, before he pulled back and returned to his post on the bathtub, but the pain returned, causing me to double over in pain and within a second, Shane was by my side. "Are you okay, Ariel?" he asked, concern dripping from his words and I mutely shook my head no. He gently picked me up and carried me into the shower and once he placed me in, he held onto my hand with a firm grip, causing the pain to retreat.

"Thank you," I whispered as I used one hand to apply the liquid soap onto the towel, which was way harder one handed. I carefully washed my broken, bruised frame, cautious not to put too much pressure on my cuts and bruises. I continued washing myself, making sure to get into every nook and cranny until there had been no part of me uncleaned. I stood underneath the shower head and let the water travel between every hair on my head and down my back until I decided I was clean enough and turned off the water.