2

"The paper, Miss Stark." Director Nick Fury commands.
     I slip the folded document out of my boot and hand it to man in the black trench coat. He nods in thanks and unfolds it. His eye skims over it, while the other is covered by an eyepatch. He gives an approving grunt and holds the paper by his side.
     "Great job, Stark." Fury applauds.
     "Hey, what about me?" Tony complains, now in jeans and a black shirt, his arc reactor glowing through the fabric.
     "Ah, yes, you too, Stark." Fury adds.
     "There are too many Starks in this place," a voice says.
     "Banner!" Tony exclaims, rushing to the scientist.
     Tony squishes Bruce in a bear hug. Bruce gags and tries to protect his glasses from my brother.
     "I missed you too, Tony." Bruce wheezes.
     "Oh, sorry," Tony quickly apologizes, unraveling himself from his own embrace.
     I laugh softly and turn to Fury. He stares at the two men, shaking his head.
     "Sometimes, I swear you are the older one." he says to me.
     "No, Tony's just a man-child," I state.
     "That too,"
     A set of footsteps echo through the hall closest to Fury's office in S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters. Steve Rogers, still in his uniform as I am, walks into the room. However, his hood is off.
     "New mission, Director Fury." he says, his blonde hair perfectly slicked back.
     "What and where?" Fury asks.
     "H.Y.D.R.A. base in London." Steve states.
     "Alright, I'll get something ready. How big is the base?" Fury asks.
     "I don't know, I was told that you know where."
     "I do?" Fury asks, eventually realizing. "Great, that place is the worst of all of them. Fine, this is an Avengers mission."
     I spin myself around on one foot to leave because I am definitely not an Avenger. Definitely not. I stop in my tracks when Fury speaks.
     "Stark, where do you think you're going?" Fury spits.
     "Last time I checked, I'm not an Avenger which means I am not included in this mission." I say.
     "Ah, yes, you're not." Fury grins. "However, I will make an exception. You are included in this mission with the Avengers, Stark."
     My eyes widen. "Oh, um, okay."
     "Now, I need to inform Barton and Romanoff that we are doing this-" Fury says.
     "What about Thor?" Tony asks. "He's an Avenger."
     "We shouldn't bother him. He is in Asgard, anyway. Hard to get in contact with."
     "You have a point. Tori, you are Thor's replacement. You can be Thori."
     I sigh from embarrassment and shield my face with my hand.
     "Tony, just no." I say.
     "Her name is Mystérieux, not Thori." Bruce says.
I blush from the use of my "superhero" title and make myself as small as possible. I see Steve smiling at me from the corner of my eye. I glance at him back, however, he quickly looks away, changing his expression.
Steve clears his throat. "We need to contact Barton and Romanoff now."
"That's my job," Fury blurts. "Now, I want you all to get used to each other, you are going to be with each other for a while."
"As if I'm not used to Tony already," I mutter.
Steve and Bruce laugh and glare at Tony.
"What?" my brother asks.
"Just a warning, don't get full of yourself." I warn him.
"As if I'm ever full of myself," he says, pretending to flip his hair behind him.
"You're an idiot,"
"A fabulous idiot,"
"Now I see how you two relate," Steve says.
"I didn't believe Tony when he said they are siblings." Bruce whispers to Steve.
"I can see why," Steve whispers back.
The two watch us bicker over nothing and I catch Steve looking at me a few times. His blue eyes and blonde hair catch my eye. Stop it, I tell myself. He is your coworker, not a childish "crush". But I can't. We stare at each other on and off, so Tony waves his hand in front of my face when I stare at the captain.
"Hello? Miss Daydream?" he says annoyed.
"Hmm?" I ask, snapping my head to look at him.
He growls and wraps his arm around my neck playfully.
"You know I love you, right?" he asks.
I gag and try to escape. He holds me even tighter when I try to, making it hard to breathe. When I have had enough, I knee him in the crotch. He groans in pain and recoils from me.
"That is why you are the idiot," I say to him, walking away.
Steve walks to me, smiling. "I can't believe you had the courage to hurt Tony Stark."
"I have been since I was born," I grin.
Steve laughs. "If I had the courage, I would."
"You have courage. You're Captain America, why wouldn't you?" I ask.
"There are some situations where you have to be a coward."
"That's true," I say. "I haven't had to deal with anything like that before."
"You shouldn't have to," he says kindly, however, recalling a horrible memory.
I clear my throat. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I'm being so selfish. Thank you for saving my life earlier, I appreciate it."
"No problem. But don't worry, everyone is going to be saving everyone when we go on this mission."
"Look who is becoming friends!" Tony exclaims, rushing toward us.
Steve and I blush as Tony engulfs us in a big hug. I stare at Steve who stares back, who gives me a help-me-from-this-crazy-man look. I nod to him and begin.
     "Tony, I can't breathe." I pretend to wheeze.
     "Here, I'll give you some air." he says, lightening our extremely unwanted embrace, but still not letting us escape.
     I think to myself. What can a well trained S.H.I.E.L.D. agent do to escape a man child? Oh, duh.
     I kick him in the knee, sending him backwards.
     "Why is it always me?" Tony groans, examining his injury.
     "As she said, you're the idiotic one." Bruce says, interrupting his conversation with Fury.
     Tony stays away from me, holding his knee. I still stand next to Steve, who still is laughing at him.
     "Thank you," Steve thanks me.
     "You're welcome. But everyone is going to be saving everyone, for a while." I grin.
     Steve smiles, appreciating my comment and we talk more. Meanwhile, Tony is there, smiling at us.