Once Upon An Act

Chapter 19

           If there were a camera crew following and documenting our life, this would be the part were the music changed into something dark and dangerous. And at that very moment, I wished there was a camera because this sounded so unreal to me.

        "Wait a minute." I blinked. "What? How? When? Why? WHAT?" I was a little more than flustered, my voice going up a notch with every question. "Darcy, stop the car and answer me." I was a bit frantic, but Darcy being Darcy, just kept driving as if he hadn't just blown my mind. "For the love of God, you better stop this car right now." I glared at him but that didn't seem to faze him. So I tried again. "Jesus, are you even listening to me?" I asked again. He finally looked at me and smirked. He actually smirked.

           "You know I can't possibly stop the car, we are on the highway." He replied as he stole a glance my way.

           "Oh," I said. "Right, uhm sorry. Yeah, keep driving but answer me, because I swear I thought you just said you killed your ex's father."

         "He wasn't a good guy, trust me." His answered spiked my curiosity even more. Whatever has this man done to deserve being taken off this earth?

         "What happened?"

         "Let's just say he's the type of man who likes to play with little girls." He answered as his attention was still on the road. Now I got it...sort of. Well not really actually.

           Was this man molesting his daughter and Darcy found out? I had so many questions that needed answers and I wanted to ask them now, but would it better if I waited until we got to the house?...I thought about it for a second but then decided to ask my questions anyway. If curiosity killed the cat, I was probably dead.

         "How did you find out?" I didn't elaborate on the question as I was sure Darcy knew what I was referring to.

         "One of my father's many qualities was that he was an infinite gambler and it wasn't like he was any good at it, always losing money and owing people he had no business owing money to." He started saying.

             Darcy didn't talk much about his father, in fact, he didn't talk much about his life. So, when he opened his mouth to speak, you had to listen. You had to be quiet and listen attentively, because that was the key to opening the box the mystery that was Darcy.

          "One day after school, my dad called me and told me I had to take my little sister to Jemma's house. At first I was a bit confused as to why, but then I thought maybe she had a play date with Jemma's little sister Vivian since they were friends anyway.

            So I took my little sister there, but when we arrived something just felt...odd. there was this atmosphere all around. One look at Jemma and I knew something was wrong. Her father was in the kitchen so he didn't see us come in. Jemma pulled me and my sister into her room and told me everything. What he's been doing to her, beating her, to her sister, touching her inappropriately and molesting her. This was what he was going to do to my little sister." He said and that's when I saw it happen;

          A fleeting emotion crossed his face, it was a shadow, quick but it had been there nonetheless. My eyes landed on his hands that were gripping the wheel so tightly that they were achingly red. For a moment, I thought the veins on his neck and hands would explode.

           "How did you do it?" I whispered, scared to ask but really just wanting to know.

          "I told Jemma to keep her door open, or at least unlock for me when she goes to bed, then lied to her father that my sister was sick and took her home. I came back that same night when everyone was sleeping, sneaked in with a knife and slit his throat open while his drunk ass was sleeping." He answered my question.