Ch.4

"Nova," I said without hesitation. I already had an alias and background story ready to go for this kind of situation, since I was planning to stay here for a little.

     "So are you gunna tell me why a pretty girl like yourself is out by the beach alone?"

     "Well look at you, already flirting with me after 30 seconds of meeting."

     "Are you going to tell me, yes or no," he smiled. And he also didn't deny flirting with me. Gosh I can already tell these summer guys are going to be such flirts. Is it the sun that makes them all cocky?

     "Haven't you seen a girl who's run away before?"

     His face grew serious,"Why are you running away?"

     It was a sweet gesture that he already seems to care for me when he knows nothing about me, summers are going to be so gullible. Unlike winters who have grown cold and know better than to trust so fast. A winter male with a family to feed would have left me to fend off the cold by myself.

     "Ray, your sweet and all but I'm a big girl, I can take care of myself."

     I stood up and brushed the sand off me, and noticed that sand really sucks to take off. How crazy did I sleep last night? I'm feeling sand in all weird places right now and it's extremely uncomfortable. Ray stood up too and did the same, except he didn't sleep in the sand like I did so he took the sand off him effortlessly.

     "Yes I can see that your a big girl," he said winking at me, "but I also know that it's the morning and everyone needs to eat breakfast. And I can also see that, wow, you brought nothing. No bag or uhm, anything. Really?"

     "I left quickly."

     "Yeah I can see that," he said.

     I didn't know what to say so I walked towards the water and let the wave kiss my toes. The beach was even more peaceful when the sun was rising. 

     I felt Ray standing next to me, "Nova, I know we just met and you left your house for a reason but I can't just leave you here without helping you okay. So just please come over to my house and let me give you some food and clothes for your journey at least."

     "Why?" I said," why are you so nice. Are you all like this?"

     Ray laughed," We as in male population? Ah, well I can't vouch for them but I have a sister, so I know how to treat women."

     Should I go with him? I mean it'll be a good chance to get some information on the land, but I think it's still to close to the border.

     "It's just for breakfast Nova, you are literally taking my food, extra clothing and anything else you need for free," he gasped dramatically," it's like your practically stealing from me."

     "Mhmm, well I do like the sound of that. Fine I'll go. But only if your going that way," I point the opposite way of the border and the first village.

     "Well then let's go. We got a far walk to my house."

     I got my shoes and carried them because shoes on sand, as I've learned, not that comfortable. As we walked in silence I noticed something about Ray, he didn't have anything either.