tres.

"No, ma'am. I promise you, I sent in my resumé. What do you mean you never received it?"

"Okay, I understand. Yeah, Happy Thanksgiving to you, too ma'am."

"Buh-bye."

This was the third person who'd turned Valerie down because of some far fetched incident. She was pretty sure she'd heard it all now.

She'd heard of office fires, deaths of management, lady bug infestations, and now her resumé had been lost.

When Luca Giovanni says he'll blackball you, he means business. Valerie just learned this the hard way, obviously. Honestly, she just wanted to know what the hell he'd told the people to make all of New York treat her like the plague.

Now, here comes Thanksgiving in a week and she's broke. For sure this year her older sister, Susan was going to have an absolute ball teasing her.

She'll be now homeless, broke, and unmarried for another Thanksgiving while Susan is ready to pop any second with her third baby boy.

I think it's time to give in, Valley-girl.

Valerie could hear her father's voice ringing clear in her head.

She agreed with him.

She was still in her pajamas after she'd went and showered this morning so, she went into her room and began changing clothes. Everything in her was telling her to lay down on her bed face first until the end of time.

Instead, Valerie changed into some nice, form fitting blue jeans, a burnt orange cable knit sweater, and caramel colored fur boots.

Her hair was pinned up into a bun, only one curly little tendril of ebony hair falls across her full brown face.

To Valerie she looked just, eh. Due to the years of petty bullying done by her sister, she was never fully confident in her abilities. She was a big girl now though, and unfortunately she still dealt with the mean girl that was miles away most times. 

Now, Susan and her mean words would be just inches away from her— a pass of mashed potatoes away.

Nicki was gone. She was currently running in the latest "color run" marathon.

Valerie couldn't wait for her arrival home. Her house would be covered in that messy, colored powder they throw during the race.

Did you catch the sarcasm?

Grabbing her interview things and heading out of her apartment Valerie thought over what she was really about to do.

Am I really deciding to hand my life over to that Giovanni man?

Yeah, she was. She was desperate. 

Although she knew that was Luca's whole plan, to render her desperate to this point, Valerie wasn't gonna be stubborn and try to fight it. 

What was a little chip in the ole pride when it came to getting paid monumentally for it?

Hailing a cab to the building in which she was becoming all too familiar with Valerie, she put her forehead on the cool fogged window of the car.