Chapter Fifteen: Family

Dean and I sat laughing on Bobby's couch as Buggs Bunny and Daffy Duck stood arguing about hunting season as Elmer Fudd stood baffled between them.

"Duck Season! Fire!" screamed Daffy and Elmer blew his feathers off. "You're dssspicable..." he said angrily to Buggs.

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. Loony Toons have always been my favorite show to watch but I rarely got the chance. It's a shame things like this were fading from the world. Dean, who was laughing as hard as I was, seemed to be enjoying himself. After we had talked things seemed a lot easier between us, like our relationship as Father and daughter had finally started and wasn't some awkward blob of uncertainty.

Neither of us noticed Sam and Bobby standing quietly in the doorway watching us. Sam came in a while later with his own breakfast and sat down on the floor in front of us, then came Bobby and the four of us watched cartoons together. Something I never really would have expected from these people. This was what I had always pictured family to be. I'm not saying that what Mom and I had wasn't family because by all means it was, but when I had imagined having my dad in my life this is what I had dreamed of.

We all laughed and enjoyed this moment that I would always remember. Family is more than just blood. I suddenly feel a swell of pride and of privilege to be here with them all. I can't even begin to imagine the people they have saved and the things they have seen and done. Then I remember the story my mom used to tell me about the hunters and what she had told me in the letter. A realization connects, that was really them! They had saved the world from ending. I look at the three men around me and know that it is because of them I'm alive, that we are all alive. That's kinda a very big deal.

After the cartoons ended we all went and washed our dishes and headed outside.

"You need more practice," said Dean opening the hidden compartment in the trunk taking out different guns, knives and assorted weapons. For 4 hours I practiced, the guys occasionally adding in advice or showing me different techniques. I found I really liked throwing the knives and was actually really good at it. After practicing we went and had lunch, then Sam and I got on his laptop and he signed me up on a homeschooling site. I wasn't exactly happy about it but didn't complain.

The entire day filled with lessons in both hunting and in education. Bobby taught me how to draw the different types of devil traps and had me learn different exorcisms. The Latin was hard to pronounce.

"It gets easier as you use it more." Bobby reassured me. 

I was skeptic but I knew that Bobby was an expert on this. So I practiced with him until dinner. There was a warm feeling in the house as if things were going right without interruption. We ended up ordering pizza from Pizza Hut for dinner. As we sat around the table we talked and the guys pointed out the things I should practice more of but also told me all the things I did right today. It was nice.

Around 11:00 pm we all went to bed. I sat on my bed in my pajamas reading one of the books Bobby told me to read. It was about different types of monsters and how to kill and repel them. I was reading about a Wendigo when a knock came on the door.

"Come in," I called from the bed not looking up from the book. Dean opened up the door and came in.

"Hey," he said.

I set down my book,"Hi," Dean sat down on the end of my bed.

"I noticed your light was on....I've got a question for you,"

"Yeah?" I asked

"I need to know if you want to stay here with Bobby and learn more or if you want to come with us..." Dammit...this was the one thing we didn't talk about early this morning. Time to face the music.

"I want to go ," I said,"I really want to go with you. This life style isn't exactly easy to learn if you don't practice." My answer sent a wave of conflict through Dean, which showed plainly on his face. "I can't pretend that this stuff happens. Especially after Lily..." I grew quiet.

"I know..." replied Dean, "You just...I don't want you getting hurt. Not again."

"Dean,"I started, "I have already been hurt. I don't think there is much more hurt out there that hasn't already happened to me." This was true and we both knew it. "Plus if I come, it will help me better prepare to take out those bastards next time I see them."

Dean smiled slightly "I guess you have a point." He stood up, "We're gonna be heading out around 7 in the morning. Sam picked up on a case in Colorado." I got up off the bed and followed him to the door.

"Thanks," I said

"For what? Ruining your life from here on out?"

"No," I said with a smile "For not abandoning me. For not sending me away and pretending I don't exists." Dean was very quiet for a minute.

"Thanks for giving me a chance," he said. I took a step forward and hugged my dad. He softly kissed my forehead, his slight stubble tickling.

"Night Dad." I said letting go.

"Good night Rachel," Dean said. I shut the door and walked back to my bed. I looked over at my clock. Midnight, dammit, I'd have to be up for another hour until it reached 1 am.

It was a superstition I had about 12 am to 1 am. That certain time zone is often called witching hour and ever since a sleep over I had back when I was 8 with Cecilia Groves I can't fall asleep during this time. She told me a story that during this time of night, if you haven't fallen asleep by the time it was midnight , you could be possessed by dark spirits. Granted, I don't know if this was true or not, but it scared the crap out of me and if I'm not asleep by the time its 12 I stay awake until 1. This, sadly, happens quite frequently and kills me during school.

After a long, music filled, hour I finally could sleep. The minute my eyes shut I was out and didn't wake up until the morning.