three

after sitting in that meeting for an antagonizing three hours straight with no breaks, we're finally dismissed. i wait as jack shakes the other peoples hand. i smile and politely shake their hands too.

"thank you for meeting with me." jack's deep and raspy voice says to them. "i hope you have a great rest of your stay at the hotel i suggested."

we let them out first and i'm startled when i feel jack's hand on my lower back, leading me out of the conference room. goosebumps rise on my skin and an unwelcoming shiver runs down my spine.

"let's go grab something to eat." he tells me, as if i'd just tag along right away.

let's? by that, does he mean the both of us? i look over at him confused and he gauges my reaction. his lips turn into a small smile. it makes my heart melt and without even realizing, i smile back a little.

"my treat." he adds.

"it's fine, mr. gilinsky. i can eat something down at the cafeteria." i say.

if the food wasn't good here, i doubt he'd let his employees eat it. nonetheless, serve it at all.

"are you ever going to let me buy you food? you haven't eaten all day." he sneers me and i purse my lips, shaking my head; i'm not that broke. "let's go." he sighs.

i follow behind him and realize that we're not heading in the direction of his office. we're headed toward the parking lot. i stop dead in my tracks.

"come on, kayla. we're going to get some food." jack's voice calls to me.

"but-" i start, but am cut off automatically.

"no buts, let's go." he says. "before i grab you myself."

my eyes widen and his mild threat and i speed walk with his long strides, hoping i don't trip on my high heels. he wouldn't dare hoist me in his arms. i don't want to take that risk and defy him.

"that was a rude threat." i hiss at him. "if i tell you that i don't want you to buy me food, then i don't want you to buy me food. get the hint."

"i've never hired anyone with a mouth like yours." jack tells me with an amused look on his face as we walk to his car. "you're so bossy and your words are always unexpected."

"says you." i reply, crossing my arms over my chest.

he chuckles a little, "there you go again."

his laugh makes butterflies erupt in my stomach. even if it's a short laugh, i still like hearing it. he leads me to a black bentley and opens the passenger side for me. this car costs more than my apartment.

"thank you, sir." i murmur to him.

he nods and shuts the door, and goes around to the drivers side. i look at my fingers in my lap as he starts to drive off. i don't ask where we're going and just remain silent.

"why are you being so quiet? why won't you talk?" jack asks me, basically reading my mind.

i look up at him, "if you want me to talk, i will. this morning-"

"i'm your boss, not your friend, kayla." he starts and i already let my eyes roll. "i meant talk to me about business."

"i really can't. i don't know anything about business." i snort, but i'm sort of angered by his words.

i gaze out the window as he continues to drive. soft rnb music plays in the background and i didn't know that he listens to things like this. i thought he was more of a piano and classical music kind of guy, but then again, he really isn't old at all.

"where are we going?" i ask, noticing that we've been driving for a while.

"to a restaurant to eat lunch." he tells me.

"we couldn't have just stopped for subway or something? like seriously. i'm trying to pay for college and not eat thousand dollar meals." i tell him.

"i'll pay for you." he emphasizes, a little aggravated with my words. "again, like i said, my treat. i really don't like it when you make assumptions about me. i'm human. i eat where everyone else eats. i pay bills. i went to school."

"i know, i'm sorry. i didn't mean for you to get that offended." i huff.

he ignores me and whisks into a full parking lot and i notice that this is one of the top restaurants in the city. i've always wanted to come here with reagan and johnson, but they always refuse to go with me.

"we're eating here?" i gape at the lit up building.

"yes, kayla. get out of the car." he commands and i realize that he's already been out of the car.

embarrassed, i scurry out and fix my outfit. my heels click against the pavement as i follow jack into the busy restaurant. i just wanted some lunch. i would've been fine with anything.

to my surprise, there is no line inside and we are helped almost immediately. i look around, soft chatters filling my ears and for some odd reason, elevator music is playing. the music i assumed that jack listened to.

"for two, mr. gilinsky?" the waitress, who looks in her mid fifties, asks us and he nods his head. "and you also brought a date with you." she blushes, fixing her glasses.

i look down, smiling to my self a little. i want to kick her in her shin. this is not a date. he doesn't say anything to her and we both just follow her to a table towards the back. we both take a seat and are handed menus.

there are like six things on this menu and a million different types of wines. i'm not even old enough to drink.

"so, may i ask why you hired me?"

jack looks up at me, "i read your résumé and it seemed like you really needed the job." he whistles through his teeth. "so, why not help the people who need it?"

"you took me in because you thought i was struggling?" i narrow my eyes at him in disbelief.

for all i care, i would've been fine with working in a library. i just applied to see if i would ever have the chance to get something as well paying as being an assistant for an arrogant bastard.

"i learned from my dad that it's good to have feelings." he nonchalantly tells me.

his eyes scanning through the menu once again, probably trying to figure out which alcoholic beverage he should indulge in. his words completely set me off. i am in no mood to talk to him anymore today.

i scoff, standing up from my seat. he basically insulted me. took me in because he thought i was desperate and a 'stray'. i can prove to him that i am none of those things. i'm an intelligent, independent individual.

i have a roof over my head. i have electricity and internet. i don't have an empty and growling stomach. i have perfect grades in college. i'm hella butthurt.

{vote, comment, share}

ok so this story might be a little boring right now, but i'm just trying to make it suspenseful. as of now, they do not get along at all, but you just wait.