Chapter 2

Magnum liked the kid—and had known he was gay pretty much from the instant he opened the door and Danny's eyes had done a clean sweep of his body and came back to Magnum's face with a pleased look. The spark in the kid's stare had ignited thoughts in Magnum that he hadn't expected to be thinking anytime soon—about anyone.

The mention of an ego boost had incited a look of mild shock from Danny, which was in itself a shot in the arm. Danny couldn't be more than eighteen or nineteen, so in this scenario—Magnum was the "older" man. Where as in his relationship with Roger, Magnum had been the younger of the two—by fifteen years. Recollection of his prior boyfriend left a bitter taste in his mouth and he hurriedly banished the memory before it could taint this new and interesting opportunity.

Danny shifted his feet and glanced at the doorway, visibly self-conscious about where his eyes might roam—now that he had been caught in the act of ogling. Perhaps he was anxious to get back to his deliveries, but Magnum wasn't quite ready to let him go. Danny the delivery boy was the most interesting thing to make an appearance in his life for months.

"So, Danny..." Magnum leaned against the counter and crossed his arms over his chest, surveying the young man with blatant appreciation. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

The direct inquiry rewarded Magnum with a slightly startled—yet pleased—look from the boy. "Ah, no." Danny cleared his throat. "Why do you ask?"

As direct as Magnum. Wonderful. "Well," Magnum adjusted his stance and unlaced his arms, casually gripping the edge of the counter. "I just thought I should ask before I made my proposition. A boyfriend might object to my offer."

Danny stared at him with uncertainty, an unmistakable gleam of curiosity in his dark eyes. "What...offer?"

Sliding his tongue over his lower lip, Magnum experienced the awakening of a long dormant surge of sexual excitement as Danny's stare followed the path of his tongue. "First of all," Magnum said. "I should ask if you need to get back to the market right away. Do you have more orders to deliver today?"

"No." Danny swallowed thickly. "This...this was my last."

Magnum nodded. "All right, then," he smiled. "Give me a moment to put away these groceries, then we'll talk." He chuckled softly. "That is, if you're interested in hearing me out."

"Yeah," Danny replied with a slight rasp. "Of course."

"I promise," Magnum assured. "I'll make it worth your while." He motioned to the kitchen doorway. "The living room is right through there. Please, make yourself at home. I'll be with you in a few minutes."

Danny nodded and walked out of the kitchen. Magnum watched him go then turned back to the box of groceries and stared absently at the contents he hadn't yet unpacked. He cast another quick glance at the doorway. He wasn't oblivious to his own motives—he knew how he was hoping this unexpected encounter would end. The question, though, was whether he truly "liked" the kid—or if he was just eager for a long overdue fuck. Magnum had yet to determine the answer, or even which answer he was looking for.

Although there was much he could deduce about Danny simply from observing his body language, there was much more he didn't know. Was Danny a one-night-stand kind of guy? How easily did his emotions become involved? Had he ever had his heart broken? Danny didn't have that shadow of pain in his eyes that warned he'd been hurt before, but some—like Magnum—learned to perfect the cover-up.

Danny was a wild card, and that could be dangerous. Yet Magnum was eager to play the game and find out if this wild card would work in his favor—or finish what Roger had started...and bring him to ruin.

Learn from your mistakes. Danny is far too young for your intentions to be anything more than sexual. Do not get attached.