four

the next day, i step into jack's office with his coffee and i don't look up. i'm scared to look up and face the devil himself. i might have made him hate me even more than he already did by leaving lunch and work for the day.

"kehlani." he says, his voice soft and calm.

i'm taken aback when i hear him use my actual name. his tone sets me off a bit too. i thought he'd be angry with me, but maybe he feels sorry.

"here's your coffee." i say, continuing to avoid eye contact.

this has become a routine. step inside his office, give him coffee, and then argue. i take a seat, looking down at my binder and i hear him sigh.

"kehlani, i'm talking to you." he says. "look at me."

my eyes slowly meet his gaze and i wince when i make full eye contact with him. what he said really hurt yesterday. to me it did, but he's probably used to being mean and having no filter.

"where did you go yesterday?" his eyebrows furrow and i stay quiet. "where did you go?" he repeats when i don't answer.

"i went home." i truthfully tell him, blinking away tears that are threatening to fall.

"your eyes are puffy. you look like you've been crying."

thanks for stating the obvious.

"i'm fine, mr. gilinsky." i assure him.

this is what i dreaded. walking into work and having him notice my face. at least my cheeks aren't tear stained anymore. i'm miserable here.

"was it because of what i said?" he continues to probe and it suddenly hurts to hear his voice.

a quiet sniffle escapes my lips. oh no. here come the ugly sobs and tears. does everyone think that? that i'm hanging by a thread? this is so embarrassing, crying in front of my boss.

before i have the chance to think twice, i dart out of his office. i hear him call after me, but i quickly go into the women's bathroom, hoping that no one saw me. i don't want to face him again. ever.

he's cruel and mean.

"olivia, go get kehlani and tell her to come back out." i hear his strong voice just outside of the bathroom. "fuck." i hear him mutter.

i hear chunky heels tap the tile floor and i turn away from the mirror. i should've just locked myself in a stall. olivia approaches me carefully.

"you okay?" she asks me. "mr. gilinsky is looking for you."

"i know he is, thank you." i say, grabbing a paper towel, wetting it. "you can leave. i'll be out in a minute."

she purses her lips, but respectfully does as i say so. she should be jack's assistant. i dab the moist paper towel on the tear stained area, thankful that i don't look horrid. i don't usually wear foundation, so nothing rubs off.

i cease my crying before walking back out. i wish that i could stay in the bathroom forever. hanging my head low, i walk out of the door and jack stands straight when he sees me. he was leaning on the wall.

"hey." i hear his voice and his large hands grab my wrists to prevent me from walking away. "are you okay?"

is he stupid?

i nod, "i'm fine." i lie.

"i'm sorry." he murmurs and it makes me look up at him.

i've never heard him apologize ever. to anyone. remembering what he said yesterday, i pull my hands away from him and start walking towards his office.

"kehlani, i really am sorry. i didn't know that you would get that upset." jack truthfully tells me.

"it was my fault. i wanted to know and you provided an honest question."

"yeah, but i wouldn't have answered it if i knew this would be the outcome." he tries to look into my averting eyes.

i take a seat on a chair and stay quiet. i'm not in the mood to talk nor reason today.

jack's pov

i sit at my desk and don't do anything at all. i just watch as kehlani looks to the floor. if something had clicked in her mind, she stands and then bends to grab a piece of paper from her bag.

i intake a sharp breath as i receive an astounding view. my dick stirs with desire and i know that this is the worst timing. she was just crying for goodness sake. she holds a folded piece of paper and gives it to me. i look at her confused.

"read it at the end of the day. when i've gone home." she tells me and i set it on the front pocket of my shirt.

"okay." i give her thin lipped smile and fold my hands together.

"what?" she asks me when she notices me staring, a hint of rudeness in her voice.

mean kehlani isn't far at all. an amused smile crawls onto my face. i hope she never quits this job. she's quite entertaining and fun to be around. even when she is bossy and attitudinal.

i take a sip of my coffee, which tastes slightly different, not breaking eye contact. i dismiss the flavor because she was a mess this morning, so i let it slide. or it might be that she just didn't brew it long enough.

feeling that i've been staring for too long, i log into my computer and start on some files that i got this morning from numerous employees. isn't it their job to fill these out? half of them stay blank and i just need to approve of them.

i come across a job application. i'm not even hiring at the moment.

job application
first name: jack
last name: johnson
date of birth: march 24, 199x (he's 21 too)
telephone: 123-456-7890
are you older than 18? [x] yes [ ] no
have you ever been fired from a job? [ ] yes [x] no
if so why:
have you ever quit a job? [x] yes [ ] no
if so why: it was boring
wanting job position:
[ ] secretary
[ ] janitor
[ ] cafeteria staff
[ ] internship
[x] accounting and finance
[ ] customer service
[ ] management training
[ ] it
[ ] administrative
[ ] rental operations
why do you want this job?
it's something i'm interested in.
why do you think you're good for the position?
took math courses my entire high school career including college. am able to stay on task and be organized.

*

eight long hours pass by and there's very little conversation between me and kehlani. i know that she doesn't want to talk to me because of what happened earlier, but i did apologize, didn't i?

"i'm going home now." her quiet voice says and i look up at her.

"okay, drive safe. again, i'm sorry for yesterday and this morning." i apologize once again, though i have no idea what i did this morning.

she just cried. females and their hormones... when she exits the room, i quickly pull out the note she gave me earlier, eager to read it. it takes me a few seconds to open it up and my eyes finally get to scan over it.

i spat in your coffee earlier today. i hate you.
- your lovely assistant, kayla.

my eyebrows pull together, but i can't help but laugh. that's why it tasted strange and a bit minty. she hates me? because of yesterday? how can i blame her. i was an ass to her.

but i'm an ass to everyone. scratch that. when am i not an ass? i used to be really 'chill' to be around and then my dad died and it flipped everything upside down. i can't stand half of the people who try to talk to me.

i stay closed off like an island state because i don't trust anyone, but i feel like that's going to change very soon. kehlani makes me feel different because she isn't a ass kisser like everyone else.

as her note noted, she hates me. plus, i want to be around her more because of that and because i want to call her kayla more often. it frustrates her and i find that adorable and intriguing.

{vote, comment, share}

that job application took forever to create bc im uneducated and jobless