Tears Will Fall

I knocked on E.J’s door, and he answered after a few minutes.

“Vanessa.” He said.

“E.J can…”I couldn’t speak another word, tears filled my eyes at the thought of all that as happened. E.J sighed and then pulled me into a hug. I put my arms around him, he all the sudden lifted me off my feet, took me to his room and laid me down on the bed. He let me go and went to the other side.

E.J’s P.O.V

We laid there staring at each other, not moving nor talking. But every now and then she would cry, and mumble how she hated her life.

I have admired how strong she is in the past, but now she all weak and vulnerable. It makes my heart sink, seeing her like this.  I wanted to make her feel better, but with every tear she cries I get more and more confused on how to make her stop and be happy. So I just laid there with her, watching her cry and not saying a thing.

The room became dark with time, but never once even through the darkness, did we lose eye contact.

Before I knew it, the sun was coming up; I was able to see her face. You could tell she was crying all night with her red eyes, and wet face.  I sighed, and she wiped away her tears, for the first time. I watched as she cleared her throat and opened her mouth to speak.

“I had a brother,” she said. “And his name was Bait, and he was my dad’s favorite child, they did everything together. Of course every time Bait did something wrong he was told not to do it again, that’s it, no punishment just a simple, don’t do it again. Yet when I did something wrong I was told to go to my room and not come out till they said so. It seemed so unfair back then…

 “One day our parents told us to go to the backyard and play some soccer, we knew that when they said that, they were about to argue. So we went outside, and Bait threw the ball at my face, I got mad at him and told him I hate him and hope he died. He just laughed at me, I heard our parents yell louder and louder. So I kicked the ball towards the net and walked over to the kitchen window to hear what they were saying. I heard Bait run after the ball, and then call out my name…but I ignored him. I told him from behind to be quiet.” She cried, but then made herself stop, to finish the story.

“When I couldn’t understand what they were arguing about, I turned and saw that…Bait had gotten caught in the soccer net…his whole face was blue…I ran to him, to see his eye were large and he was…lifeless. I ran and got my parents. The ambulance got there and tried to bring him back, but they said it was too late…My parents divorced 3 months later. I went to live with my mom…but after a couple of months she started to drink. She would come home at all hours of the day and night, unable to walk straight, it was so bad that I would have to make my own dinner, and take care of her as she would throw up and pass out everywhere. I never once told her what she was doing was wrong, because I was thinking how what she was going through, was my fault. I mean Bait was calling my name, over and over…I told him to be quiet.”

“It wasn’t your fault.” I said, she nodded and continued with her story.

“I told my dad I wanted to live with him after a while, he agreed. So I went to live with him, after a month or so he asked me one night to play basketball with him. I said yes, and every day after that he and I would play basketball…He trained me.

“A little while after that I was put on my school’s basketball team. After a while I realized why my dad taught me to play basketball…I knew he dreamed that Bait would be some kind of basketball star, when Bait died…I think he lost that dream he held on to, but when he saw me, he thought that he can continue this dream through me…” She sighed.