Chapter 29 - Rescue

Guys, I'm horrible at updating in a timely fashion. And to be honest, I'm ready to get to the ending of this story. There's probably going to be 35 chapters in this book. Would anyone even be interested in a sequel? I have a few ideas for it.

And just thank you guys so much for reading, this is up to 11,000 reads and that's just amazing to me.

Eric

I didn't get far. Maybe a few miles down the road before I stopped and started pacing back and forth.

Why did she have to be so damn stubborn? So damn selfless? And why did i have to leave? Why couldn't I put my own past aside and stay to protect her?

Zachariah has probably already imprisoned them. He wants me because he wants my leadership influence with Dauntless. What he isn't understanding however, is that my influence will do him no good anymore. I left Dauntless for the girl that I love, the one I so stupidly left with my psychotic father.

I bang my fists against the hard brick walls of the alleyway I wondered into. Kicking over any trash cans and boxes I can get close to. I shouldn't of left. What if he's hurt her?

That thought makes me physically sick, and the answer to my own question is quickly answered. I have to go back. I have to go back and drag Corrine out of there myself if I have to.

I start loading the gun that I had strapped to my back and walking with my eyes down to the ground, not expecting anyone else to be in this area. When I come around the corner of the next street, someone runs right into me.

"Eric! Thank god! You have to come back with us.." Finn starts.

"Where is she? Where's Corrine?" Panic sets in.

"He has her. Zachariah and the toothless guard. They grabbed her when we tried to get out. She wouldn't let me help her.."

"Of course she didn't. Why would she ever think of herself in that situation?" I say sarcastically, finishing loading the gun.

"We are going back with you." Marie says.

"No. No way in hell are you coming back with me. Get back on the train and take it to the fence." I demand.

"She's my sister, Eric. I'm coming with you." Finn grabs the hand gun from the holster on his hip and stands next to me.

"You'll only slow me down. I want her to be alive when we get to her." I tell him sternly.

"Then why are you still arguing with us? Let's go!" Finn shouts at me.

"Is that an order, initiate?" I look at him with a serious face, waiting for his reaction. Finn is a good soldier, he may have been one of he best of he had stayed with Dauntless.

"Damn right." He says, puffing out his chest. I can't help but smirk.

"All right then, let's go." I nod and we all start jogging back towards the Factionless headquarters.

************ ************* ****************

When we reach the outside of the headquarters, we quickly duck down at the tree line. It isn't a lot of cover, but it's better than trying to make a plan out in the open.

"You understand that you may not come out of this alive, correct?" I ask my former initiates. The all nod in understanding.

"They had to of taken her upstairs. We can split up." Ricky says.

"Fine, you two go in first, take out as many guards as you can so that Finn and I can get upstairs. Understood?" I push myself up to stand straight as we head towards the building.