five

"i don't want to drink this coffee." jack smirks at me as i hand it to him.

"i didn't spit in it this time." i clarify.

yesterday was just an all out vague day. i'm willing to restart with him. he narrows his eyes at me, still smiling.

"i don't trust you." he says.

i shrug my shoulders, lifting the cup to my lips, "suit yourself." i cringe. "i don't understand how you drink it without any creamer."

he gazes at me as i place my cup on the side of his desk. he quickly crumples up a piece of paper that he writes on. i set me bag down on a chair and he stares at the trash can. he lifts his arm up and throws the paper. i smack it while it's in the air.

"boy! you thought i was gonna let you make a basket." i grin.

he frowns, "that was rude."

i smile, "i know it was."

"i'm actually pretty good at basketball." he informs me, standing up and leaning on the edge of his desk.

"sure." i snort, but i can't imagine mr. gilinsky playing basketball.

his eyebrows raise and his mouth drops open, "i am good! i use to play with some of my buddies for fun. wasting our free time during high school."

"high school." i emphasize. "which was three years ago for you."

"believe me, i still got it and i can beat you." he goes back around his desk and sits in his comfy chair.

i continue to smile up at him as i respectfully take a seat on the chair. when did he turn all kind and playful? was it because of my little crying episode i had.

"if you don't believe me then i'll challenge you. we can play at my place after work. i have a basketball court in my backyard." he tells me.

"of course you do." i mutter.

he's living the american dream. every guys dream. girls- although he's never mentioned any- cars, and money. my eyes lock on a vanilla colored manilla folder and i set my hand on it.

"want me to bring this to someone, mr. gilinsky?" i raise my eyebrow, wondering what it is.

jack shakes his head, "no, it's just a job application." he shrugs and i nod, taking my hand off of it.

there's my answer of what the folder contains. that's not my business who he hires. i haven't heard him say anything about him hiring anyone, but maybe he was going to fire me and hire someone else. the thought sickens me.

"i'm sorry for spitting in your coffee, by the way." i say to him and a deep, raspy chuckle escapes his lips.

"it's fine." he assures me, grabbing my coffee and taking a drink from it.

"gross, you have cooties." i feign being disgusted. "thank you for not firing me."

he bites his bottom lip and smiles, placing the cup in between us. i'm not drinking it after he did. maybe he doesn't mind because he practically drank my saliva yesterday. i have to admit that, that was pretty funny.

"so, basketball tonight at my place?" jack asks me, resting both of his hands on the table.

"sure." i say and he tells me that he's going to write his address down for me.

he grabs a sticky note and begins to scribble his address down. his forearm veins are basically popping out and i find that a tad attractive, but this is strict. he's my boss. he pays me to serve him, not ogle him.

his dress shirt is folded up to his elbows and his suit jacket is hung on a rack near the door. when he's finished writing, he hands it to me with a brief smile. why did i agree on this?

i've only ever played basketball my freshman year of high school and that was it. pretty much lost my touch. i fold up the post-it note and put it in a pocket of my handbag.

"do you have anything to do?" i ask him.

"it's thursday. i never have anything to do on thursday's." he responds.

"i need to use the restroom." i lie, making up an excuse to go and find blake to greet.

he uses his hand to point to the door, "go right ahead."

i purse my lips and lift myself up from my chair. i strut out the door and i can feel his eyes burn into my back. it makes me feel a little self conscious being put on the spot by him.

i make my way down the same route i took the other day and reach blake's area. he's typing away on his computer and i smile. i approach him and tap his shoulder. he turns around in his chair, smiling when he comes face to face with me.

"kehlani, hi." he says.

"hi." i reply.

"what are you doing here? are you assigned here now?" his face lights up with hope and i frown.

"no, i just came to say hi."

his smile grows bigger, "you know, we never got to do lunch or dinner the other day."

i blush a little, "i know."

"can we do it another time? when you're available, of course." he gestures his hand toward me.

"yes." i nod. "let me write down my number for you."

he gives me a piece of paper and a pen. i read it slowly. gilinsky holdings inc. rolling my eyes, i proceed with writing down my ten digits. i hand it to him when i'm done.

"i have to return to mr. gilinsky before he suspects something. i told him i was going to the bathroom." i laugh.

we both say goodbye and wave each other off. i speed walk because blake's are is literally across this giant building. i make my way to jack's office once again.

"i'm back." i say, out of breath and pretty much panting for oxygen.

heels and long distances in a short amount of time don't work together well. when i enter the door, i'm shot by an expression from him.

he narrows his eyes at me, "you went to see blake?"

i'm taken aback, "what?"

"did i stutter? i hope you know that i'm the ceo-"

"i'm well aware of that, mr. gilinsky."

why do i feel like a schoolgirl being scolded by her principal?

"i have access to the security cameras." he adds.

"you were watching me?" i gasp. "that's invasion of privacy."

"hmm, not really." amusement dances in his eyes like he wants to laugh at me. "you work for me and you're in my building. this is public."

"whatever." i snap, sitting down.

"you're quite funny and entertaining when you're mad." he smiles at me.

whoa, mood change.

"thanks." i mutter, even though this is something i shouldn't be thanking him for.

he searches around his desk for something to do and it's like a light bulb lit up in his mind.

"can you review this job application for me and tell me whether or not he sounds like a good employee?" jack asks me, sliding the vanilla file towards me.

"yeah." i mumble, grabbing it and opening it up.

when i glance at the name, i couldn't believe what was right in front of my eyes. jack johnson.

{vote, comment, share}