CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN✔️

dedicated to -somerhalder78 because of her amazing comment

THIRTY-SEVEN | TO LEAVE WITH A BROKEN SOUL

last chapter here we go! I couldn't wait to publish this whoops!!! (there will be a sequel don't worry lmao)

~~~

Arabella stood in the middle of the field. Elena was dead and Klaus had been swooped away by Elijah; he had saved Klaus from his certain death. Arabella eyed Elena's body in confusion. Something was nagging in her head. Something that told her that killing Elena was not right. Arabella had a war going on in her mind. Ideas were pulling her in every direction, making things inside jumbled and confused. Everything she had been raised to be was contrasting to what she was feeling now - which wasn't much. Arabella's eyes were on Elena's lifeless body. She was waiting for Stefan to wake up (she had cracked his neck again because he was getting too loud) to take away Elena's body. It was dark and there was a distant howling to be heard. The full moon made Elena's body look as if she were an angel, ready to float up and stand over Arabella with a halo and wings. Arabella frowned as she scanned over Elena's body. It looked perfect, besides the two puncture wounds. Arabella wasn't able to smell Elena anymore, and her steady heartbeat had stopped ages ago.

"Elena Gilbert has died," Arabella muttered to herself. The words didn't sound right on her tongue. "Dead. Death. Dying. Elena dead." Arabella continued to repeat those words in different orders. The strawberry blonde was utterly confused as to what was going on in her brain. She was going mental; it wouldn't have been the first time.

Arabella wasn't able to cope with the loss of someone great. Elena Gilbert was great in her life, and now she was gone. Arabella had helped kill an amazing girl. She was a murderer. A cold blooded, sweet serial killer. She helped her vicious brother kill an extraordinary girl. The lives of every single person she had murdered was coming back to her like a waterfall, it's sweet waves flowing into Arabella's mind.

Arabella's chest shook and she felt a sharp pain erupt in her heart. She clutched her chest, bending over in pain. Small gasps were coming from her mouth. She didn't understand what was happening to her. No one had attacked her, everything she was feeling was not from a blade or stake. This must have been emotional.

Arabella felt wetness on her cheeks. She could feel the drizzle slide down her face. Arabella was crying. She couldn't recall the last time she had cried. Arabella screamed. She stood up and snapped a branch, throwing the pieces of wood around. Everything was hitting her at once.

Wood splinters hit Arabella's face, causing scrape marks everywhere on her body. Arabella didn't care, though. The pain felt nice, it was refreshing. Arabella's scream echoed through the forest as she hit a tree multiple times. Her fist had gone bloody and bruises were starting to form. She didn't care. She kicked, punched, yanked, and ripped apart a tree until there was nothing but a stump. Arabella's heavy breaths were now the only thing heard.

Arabella laid down on the ground, her strawberry-blonde hair contrasting against the dark leaves. She glared up at the midnight sky, a small shout of frustration coming from her mouth. Arabella could feel her emotions flooding back in. It was like a wave of anger, hurt, grief, and loss all hitting her at once. A train of feelings were crashing into her skull, making her feel guilty for every sin she committed. She felt dirty and gross. Nothing fit right for her. She wanted to scrub off every bad thing she had done and start completely new.

Arabella let out another scream. She wanted to yank her hair out as anger towards herself grew. Rebekah had been right, turning off her emotions sucked. Everything about humanity was the best for Arabella, even the flaws. Arabella hated herself for steeping low to turn it off. She hated the aftertaste. Turning off her humanity was a bittersweet flavor - it was good for a moment until the end where she felt like she were going to throw up because of the vile flavor.

"She's dead," Arabella muttered, pain lacing her voice. "I-I killed her, why did I do that?" Arabella didn't even notice Elena being picked up and dragged away. Stefan glanced at Arabella pitifully before he was away.

Arabella felt each emotion enveloping her, a blanket of sentiment. Arabella's tears hit the ground and she didn't stop crying until another realization came to her.

"Damon."

~~~

Arabella was at the Salvatore house in minutes. She barged through the doors and ran to his room. She slammed the doors open, causing Damon and Elena to look at the sound. Elena's eyes had hardened when she saw Arabella, but she noticed the tear tracks on her pretty face. Elena softened, knowing what had happened. Elena got up and clutched Arabella in her arms.

"H-how ar..." Arabella stuttered. She looked at Elena wildly. She was thankful that Elena was (somehow) alive, but how? What deal did Elena make? Who was protecting her?

"I'll explain later," Elena said quietly. She stepped away and motioned for the strawberry-blonde to give her goodbyes. Arabella walked forward and lightly sat on the bed. She examined Damon. His blue eyes were dull, sweat covered his face, and his skin had turned ghostly white. He could've been a ghost.

"Oh my..." Arabella whispered, almost inaudibly. "I'm sorry."

Damon looked at her, "Here to mock me?"

Arabella smiled in pain, "No. I'm here to say goodbye." Arabella unfolded her letter in her jean jacket pocket. The parchment was crushed, but Arabella had a few words to say to her almost lover.

"Dear Damon,

I loved you. You were the one. Countless affairs could not suffice what I had for one man. You gifted me with this foreign idea of love, of this fondness. I regret becoming close to you. I hate how you have made me so weak that I am writing a love note to you after I left. I am a fragile girl, cradling a broken heart.

But no longer. I loved you. I now hate you.

Sincerely,

Arabella."

Damon looked at Arabella in shock. He wasn't expecting a letter. A kiss and maybe some crying; he never knew how much he had meant to her.

"But, I wrote that back in 1864. This is my new letter," Arabella said.
She cleared her throat, 

"Dear Damon,

I love you. I love you, I love you, I love you. I could say it a thousand times and never tire of the same three words. You were my true love. In my thousand years on this Earth, nothing could have compared to you. No other man could have fulfilled me like you did. Our love was complicated and messy, but it was true. It was great. It was something I will never encounter again. I screwed up, but so did you. Although you may never love me like I do, at least there was something. I do not regret meeting you, I don't regret anything involving you besides the mistakes that I have wished upon the stars that I could take back. I love you, Damon Salvatore. Always have, always will.

Love,

Arabella."

Damon smiled, forcing his tears back. Arabella, however, let one slip. Damon reached up to wipe it away, but Arabella grabbed his hand. She leaned in to kiss him, crashing her lips into his. The kiss was full of longing and love. There was undeniable passion and Arabella knew he was putting as much effort into the kiss as her. Arabella enjoyed the sweet moment, because right when she pulled away, she was gone.

~~~

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL THIS IS MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT - FINISH SISTER, SISTER.

FUCEJGH FUCK. OH MY GOD IT'S DONE. GUYS. IT HAS STOPPED. BOOK DONE. DONE BOOK. HOLY SHIT!

I would like to thank every single reader who voted, commented, or even those random ghost readers. You all have contributed to this book, like it or not. I love everyone who thinks this book is great. Thank you all so much for this, and I will see you in the next book!

-holly