Chapter 36

It was hard for Kyle to watch the scene that was unraveling in the middle of the field. Despite his instincts to go help his mate, he stayed where he was. He watched Emily's move and fight, and he felt proud of her. He was mad at her for not telling him her plans, but deep inside he understood her reasons to omit this. He knew that if she had told him, he would have done everything to protect her and the truth was that she needed to do this.

Emily knew Kyle was there watching her. She knew he wasn't going to interfere and that made her feel relieved. That made her realize that he respected her decision, even if he was against it.

She decided to mind-link him.

"Thanks for letting me do this. It's really important to me." She told him, while keeping her eyes on Vladimir.

"Don't get distracted. Finish him at the first opportunity that you see." Her mate replied. His voice was confident, but his heart was consumed by fear. Fear of loosing his mate, fear for being helpless in the process.

Emily looked at her opponent. 

He has to have some weakness. She thought to herself.

Vladimir was bleeding badly, but he continued to show no signs of pain.

This man must be completely inhumane...

Emily decided to attack him, to show that she wasn't afraid. Vladimir dodged the attack and tried to catch Emily by her throat, but she was quicker. She turned her neck in time to avoid his sharp canines. When she managed to put some distance between herself and the enemy, Emily growled at him, trying to intimidate the man inside the wolf, but he continued unfazed by her strength and dominance. The only response she got, was when he bared his teeth to her. They were sharp and had some blood, probably hers, dripping from the pointed tips. That image could scare the most powerful wolf.

She was intimidated by him, hell, she was terrified, but miraculously, she didn't show it.

Remembering what Kyle had said about leaning the opponent moves, Emily took her time remembering Vladimir moves. She realized that he had two potential big problems when he fought. One he was too confident and too much confidence could make him do a mistake. Second, he was using the same moves. He could be powerful, yes, but he didn't know how to change tactics. He didn't seem to be old, but he was not as fast as a young wolf. 

Emily had to smile to herself when she looked at him. She would have to be faster than him. Try to make him move in a way she was expecting and strike then. 

Emily could feel her shoulder burning from the pain and her leg getting a bit numb from the blood loss. She would have to act fast, if she wanted to get out of that fight alive.

She decided to attack again, the same strategy she had used before, but with something different. When she jumped at the grey wolf, she saw him turn his head to bite her again on her neck. When she was just inches from him, she angled her mouth to catch him instead. The first thing she tasted was his skin being perforated by her canines. Blood filled her mouth and she felt triumph rise inside her. Emily could feel him kicking his legs desperately, trying to pushed her far away from him, but she hold on, her teeth going deeper. She had catch Vladimir by his neck and she could feel her carotid being ripped off when she pulled his flesh. 

Soon enough, his body went limp, but Emily could not let him go, afraid that he would stand again like the devil he was.

She heard someone approach her from behind and she growled, the animal instinct in her more powerful than the human sense.

"Emily, he is dead. It's over." She heard Kyle said, his voice calm and steady. She could feel his relief and his happiness though their mate bond.